Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 hours ago, quilp said:

There isn't one, apparently. Do you not read previous posts? The organisers have spelt it that way for 45 years.

My error.

No, you were correct. Whoever misspelled it 45 years ago was wrong and allowed to get away with it. 

• Haha 1

There’s a real howler in the IoM Today/Mananan Festival article/press release.

Don’t know if the press release or it’s interpretation by Iomtoday journalists is at fault, but this is pure drivel

“The programme sees something very different on Saturday, June 22, with a production of the opera the Sleeping Queen, written by Gilbert and Sullivan, along with the playwright Michael Balfe.”

Michael William Balfe was an Irish composer, 28 operas. He composed  Sleeping Queen to a libretto by Brougham Farnie. Nothing to do with G&S, who didn’t get together until 1871, a year after Balfe died! 

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

Don’t know if the press release or it’s interpretation by Iomtoday journalists is at fault, but this is pure drivel

“The programme sees something very different on Saturday, June 22, with a production of the opera the Sleeping Queen, written by Gilbert and Sullivan, along with the playwright Michael Balfe.”

Michael William Balfe was an Irish composer, 28 operas. He composed  Sleeping Queen to a libretto by Brougham Farnie. Nothing to do with G&S, who didn’t get together until 1871, a year after Balfe died! 

I bet that has really got the old luvvies in hysterics, imagine not knowing some old tosh from some other old tosh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

I can see how it happened.  The description on the website and the advance programme is:

Gilbert, Sullivan and Michael William Balfe’s Sleeping Queen Opera.

We all know and love the operettas of Gilbert and Sullivan but did you know that the famous duo might never have existed but for the music of a talented Irishman, Michael William Balfe? Born in Dublin in 1808, his Bohemian Girl was instantly successful and gained widespread international recognition establishing Balfe as a premier composer. The Sleeping Queen was first presented in 1864 at the Gallery of Illustration in Regent Street, London – the same venue where the G&S partnership was formed. A short pre-opera talk will be given by Una Hunt, followed by selected Balfe arias and the performance of the complete operetta, staged and in costume.

IOM Newspapers have just read the first line.  I suppose the Festival is trying to say something along the lines of "People who like G&S will like this", but it's confused things by replacing the first 'and' or '&' with a comma, probably to fit it to a line.

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

A new advert about something or other.

Man gasping, in the throws of possibly dying. Voiceover man says: that's COPD. 

wtf

Maybe he'd just been listening to MR for too long....?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The adverts are crap, at the minute there is a whining child on quoting her mother getting a boiling water tap and another whining child telling the country her nana likes to buy incontinence pads and mobility scooters.....if you listen to Carnaby Street on a Saturday, which I love all the ads are great good jingles which you have never forgotten, the lack of imagination is unbelievable with the current lot and they never change and they are the same people advertising they must be on some sort of super rate for taking an ad out for 100 years or something 50 times a day, I may be exaggerating a tad but that is the impression I get.  At least the Ramsey garden center ad has improved that squeaking voice woman really put me off my toast.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The adverts are crap, at the minute there is a whining child on quoting her mother getting a boiling water tap and another whining child telling the country her nana likes to buy incontinence pads and mobility scooters.....if you listen to Carnaby Street on a Saturday, which I love all the ads are great good jingles which you have never forgotten, the lack of imagination is unbelievable with the current lot and they never change and they are the same people advertising they must be on some sort of super rate for taking an ad out for 100 years or something 50 times a day, I may be exaggerating a tad but that is the impression I get.  At least the Ramsey garden center ad has improved that squeaking voice woman really put me off my toast.

For a bit of balance, the child saying her mother rates the boiling water tap , is in fact the real daughter of the family who own the business, so is in fact being totally honest in the ad. I think it's great that reality is embodied into ads.

A very hard working family firm they are too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dilligaf said:

For a bit of balance, the child saying her mother rates the boiling water tap , is in fact the real daughter of the family who own the business, so is in fact being totally honest in the ad. I think it's great that reality is embodied into ads.

A very hard working family firm they are too.

I can never make out if she is saying " owns" or "owned" the granite center in the ad, it sounds like owned to me, which is in the "past tence"

Edited by LightBulb

And then there is the one with the two 'kids' talking. They tried this before, it's the usual advert voices but they've took a toot from a helium balloon I think, although you can probably do this on software but that is no fun at wedding receptions and that.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Why is the MUA spending money they haven’t got on an advert for the bleeding obvious, in a year when there clearly will not be a drought?

Because most people are stupid and require spoon feeding. Usually the non Manx.:whistling: