Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Why is the MUA spending money they haven’t got on an advert for the bleeding obvious, in a year when there clearly will not be a drought?

Because they have got money. Shitloads of it. All coming from us. On call from electricity, water and sewerage charges.

And whenever/whatever MUA want they get. The politicians do their bidding with little questioning.

MUA are a fiscal law unto themselves and have continued to be so long after the Proffitt debacle that should have seen them reigned in.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Because they have got money. Shitloads of it. All coming from us. On call from electricity, water and sewerage charges.

And whenever/whatever MUA want they get. The politicians do their bidding with little questioning.

MUA are a fiscal law unto themselves and have continued to be so long after the Proffitt debacle that should have seen them reigned in.

Shitloads of debt last time I looked.

• Thanks 1

This talk of radio ads reminds me of what certain types were known as in stations I worked in years ago.

Below is what we would refer to as a '2CK'.  I'll put money on you having heard one.

You know the type...

"Hi Sue. Wow, I love your new Carpet"

Hi Jane, Yes!  Thanks.  I got it from XYZ Carpets, they've a fabulous range at really low prices"

"Wow, sounds like i need to get down there"

"You surely should, you could call them on 01624 12345 or visit their website for more information at letslaythis.com.."

etc

2CK? = Two C**** in a kitchen.  Think of this next time you hear one.  You won't have to wait long.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, woolley said:

Shitloads of debt last time I looked.

No, WE'VE got the shitloads of debt. The MUA have just carried on in much the same fashion that got us into this fine mess, Stanley. Obscene salaries, job creation for mates and rels and steady as you go. I know people from within who tell me this.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Never too old to learn, although I started making '2CK' radio ads for a living in 1975 and I've never heard that expression before.

I didn't say the comprod department necessarily knew that's what we called them... :P

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

No, WE'VE got the shitloads of debt. The MUA have just carried on in much the same fashion that got us into this fine mess, Stanley. Obscene salaries, job creation for mates and rels and steady as you go. I know people from within who tell me this.

What do you suggest? Privatise it and pay obscene dividends to overseas investors instead?

Just now, Freggyragh said:

What do you suggest? Privatise it and pay obscene dividends to overseas investors instead?

Neither. The expenses of what was already there should have been firmly reined in, particularly as it should have been after Proffitt.

Instead, as per any IoMG Dept or agency, it's been allowed to continue in it's profligate fashion - probably one of the worst.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

I wonder what would have happened by now if they had sold the MEA back in the 90s when the SSEB was interested in buying it. It would now be part of Scottish Power. No doubt if they could go back in time and revisit the issue they would sell. In the event they turned it down on the grounds that we needed our own generation facilities so that our power resilience would not to be in the hands of outsiders. The current arrangement of a gas pipeline that comes from outside with a valve that could be closed at the other end seems not to have aroused the same concern, for some reason. I suppose it means we can be screwed locally rather than by anonymous overseas shareholders.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

They should have just connected a big cable from UK to Isle of Man.

No need for all that debt, no need for all that wasted/frauded expenditure, no/less pollution here etc.

Wasn't that the original plan with Scottish power? Then a select few spotted lot's of £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££!

• Like 3