Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, WKRP said:

Thought the work put in my the two young newsroom journalists Aaron Ibanez and Dollin Mercer was excellent on the education story today. Shows what can be done on the big stories.

Oh?

Can anyone spot the problem with this: 

It was a speech which did not go down well with the minister, Graham Cregeen, whom in passionate defence of his department's record, defied parliamentary language etiquette and was pulled up by the president, Steve Rodan.

31 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Oh?

It was a speech which did not go down well with the minister, Graham Cregeen, whom in passionate defence of his department's record, defied parliamentary language etiquette and was pulled up by the president, Steve Rodan.

I'm as guilty as anyone of letting my sentences degenerate into a drawn-out tangle of clauses.  But it's always a good rule that if you find yourself gasping for air halfway through, you really ought to split it into two sentences and forget about trying to sound elegant.  And it gets round the problem that no one is quite sure when to use 'whom' by getting rid of it, starting a new sentence with 'In' and sticking 'he' before 'defied'. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm as guilty as anyone of letting my sentences degenerate into a drawn-out tangle of clauses.  But it's always a good rule that if you find yourself gasping for air halfway through, you really ought to split it into two sentences and forget about trying to sound elegant.  And it gets round the problem that no one is quite sure when to use 'whom' by getting rid of it, starting a new sentence with 'In' and sticking 'he' before 'defied'. 

Shouldn’t really start a sentence with “and” ...:flowers:

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

Oh?

In my opinion wrongly. Why is it not allowed to speak the truth and say it as it is,? I believe he was correct in his views and I can't understand the wimps defending the idiot from Garff. As if they are in with a chance ??? Wishful thinking or what ?

It would have been different if the accuser was Betty Hanson ;) 

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Shouldn’t really start a sentence with “and” ...:flowers:

Big debate on that one Neil...in my day starting a sentence with a preposition was a hanging offence; now it’s commonplace, even on BBC news.

• Like 3

Interesting FB post from Mr Turner (Energy FM) about Manx Radio bringing in a consultant to sort out their programming. Isn't that a job to be done by the programme controller?

They’ve just recruited a new MD who will be on a very high salary (I’d like the last one it was around £100k!) Plus all the other so called professionals on £50k+ and yet they need to bring in an off island consultant... it’s utter nonsense and a financial disgrace. If they were a private firm they could do what they like. But they aren’t and they’re funded to the tune of £1.2m of subventions and free government services and they have a disastrous audience which is dying off. They have no idea of cost control and instead of spending money on output they been on a big jollly getting new jingles made and now have a consultant.

New Jingles as well???

• Like 1