Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

On 7/18/2019 at 8:50 PM, Roger Mexico said:

no one is quite sure when to use 'whom' 

If you can replace it with "I", "he" or "she", use "who". If you can replace it with "me", "him" or "her", use "whom". It's exactly the same relationship. You wouldn't say "I gave it to she." In the instance at issue, you wouldn't say "him ..... defied ......" In fact, you wouldn't construct such a clumsy sentence in the first place.  

Edited by woolley
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, WKRP said:

Interesting FB post from Mr Turner (Energy FM) about Manx Radio bringing in a consultant to sort out their programming. Isn't that a job to be done by the programme controller?

They’ve just recruited a new MD who will be on a very high salary (I’d like the last one it was around £100k!) Plus all the other so called professionals on £50k+ and yet they need to bring in an off island consultant... it’s utter nonsense and a financial disgrace. If they were a private firm they could do what they like. But they aren’t and they’re funded to the tune of £1.2m of subventions and free government services and they have a disastrous audience which is dying off. They have no idea of cost control and instead of spending money on output they been on a big jollly getting new jingles made and now have a consultant.

New Jingles as well???

Oh Juan...anyone would think you were still bitter!

I'm not a spokesman or member of staff, but:-

a) An organisation like MR needs a Managing Director/Station Manager. Ideally one with wide-ranging industry experience. New guy ticks all the boxes.
b) How many 'so called professionals' are on £50k+? I can probably count them on the fingers of one hand (excluding thumb).
c) The 'consultant' came over for a couple of days only to provide expert training. I am now a Ninja Broadcaster so it was worth the fee.
d) Above measures probably an attempt to address the changing listenership. Headline losses don't reflect a move to new platforms (VOD, Podcasts etc).
e) Costs are controlled more than a Tory MP at a BDSM party.
f) New jingles. The old ones have given sterling service for probably 10+ years, but harpsichords are so yesterday.

HTH.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Oh Juan...anyone would think you were still bitter!

a) An organisation like MR needs a Managing Director/Station Manager. Ideally one with wide-ranging industry experience. New guy ticks all the boxes.
b) How many 'so called professionals' are on £50k+? I can probably count them on the fingers of one hand (excluding thumb).
c) The 'consultant' came over for a couple of days only to provide expert training. I am now a Ninja Broadcaster so it was worth the fee.
d) Above measures probably an attempt to address the changing listenership. Headline losses don't reflect a move to new platforms (VOD, Podcasts etc).
e) Costs are controlled more than a Tory MP at a BDSM party.
f) New jingles. The old ones have given sterling service for probably 10+ years, but harpsichords are so yesterday.

HTH.

So you want to sound more like Energy FM and 3FM? 

There's nothing wrong with that, it would be a massive improvement over the current crap! 

15 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

That seems a lot for such an organisation. Very IoM Governmentesque.

It's not just Manx Radio which should be laid to rest (or at least put out to grass). The entire TV and radio spectrum should be sold off - including the satellite end.

People often whine about the BBC but commercial radio and tv is subsidised by cheap spectrum too. And for what? Do we really need an endless stream of elderly pop music and mystery voice competitions?

Sell it all off. We've got the internet now.

Eta: it's almost funny them finally getting to podcasts. A decade at least after we were saying that here. Goodness knows why they needed to pay someone to do that. They'll probably do a mystery voice podcast. Or an endless Radio Caroline nostalgia thing.

Not 'arf.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

But the question isn't whether Manx Radio needs someone in charge, it's whether there should be so many people in management and whether they are paid too much.  Manx Radio has a small potential listenership of around 85,000 of whom less than half ever listen to it.  It has a total turnover of £2 million (£875k of which is subvention).  But one person earns between £75k and £99k (and it's never been denied it's near the top of that range) and another two between £50k and £75k.  I suspect there are others just below the £50k mark.  

Even in terms of roles it's top-heavy with Directors of what are only very small teams[1] being paid as if they are the heads of large numbers of people.  Normally for  a radio station covering so few you would expect a station manager who also did a bit of broadcasting and a very slim-lime admin side of things.  You need people to do commercial sales - but given how much of the business is repeat and the comparatively small number of potential advertisers, it can't be the most onerous of tasks.

These aren't new criticisms and have been made by many for many years, including in documents like the Myers Report.  But nothing has ever changed, even when change has been recommended by Tynwald committees, because the problems with Manx Radio are all too typical of those in wider government here and it's all too comfortable for too many.

Actually they do if you're talking about percentages.  If Manx Radio's share of those listening has dropped. that's caused by those who have switched to other stations, not because they have stopped listening to the radio.  And if there has been a growth in other platforms, it's because Manx Radio has been so slow to adopt such things that any growth is on a low base.  Some of this is stuff that other stations have been using 20 plus years.  It's welcome that website stories and clips are now more than 20 seconds extent, but it could have been done long ago.

[1]  Manx Radio's staffing structure is even more opaque than their accounts (and much more so than it used to be).

• Like 2

Thing is, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. 'Do podcasts' says MF. So the station does podcasts. 'You should have been doing them sooner' says MF.

'Too many staff'. It takes as many people to run a full service radio station with 85,000 potential listeners as it does for 850,000 or 8½ million. The Myers Report was generally highly supportive, and any subsequent decisions taken are well above my fee grade so I can't comment.

Just trying to be objective here (although I'll always be a cheerleader for the station). MR has an ageing audience because it was forced (AFAIK) to cede its youth market (KikFM at weekends) to the new Energy which was licenced purely to serve the youth market. And we all know how that ended up. Did it get any grants or special rents for using Summerland? What about 3FM? Has it really created a 'plurality of broadcasting' as promised, or just diluted the commercial market?  MR's traditional audience aren't early adopters of streaming or podcasts, and I suspect the station wanted to wait and see how it all evolved before jumping in. Remember it was roundly condemned only recently for installing studio cameras to enable efficient VOD.

It is trying to establish what people want - hence the latest audience survey. I suspect most will say they like it as it is, but the programme controlller and new MD are probably working on a station refresh that includes new jingles (at last!). |If people listen to the other stations (and I often do) it's because they prefer the music mix or just want background music with 'this is, that was, here's a timecheck' links. Nothing wrong with that but it's certainly not what a PSB should be doing. There are things that go out that irritate me too, but usually if you dig a bit deeper it's not a lack of care, it's a lack of time or resource.

Yes, it costs a couple of mill a year to run. From memory (I have the figures at work) that is less than half what a comparable BBC LR station costs - and they have the massive resource of the international BBC machine behind them.

I genuinely believe that any impartial expert would spend a day at the station and conclude that if anything the station tries to do too much with too few people rather than being overstaffed, and certainly 90% of the people who work there aren't overpaid, just the opposite.

ETA: Just reading Juan's FB post. Lots of supposition there, and misinformation about anyone being brought in to do anything other than training for a couple of days. Financial disgrace?? Apart from a very marginal overspend a couple of times, it's very tightly controlled financially. A 'private firm' would sack all the PSB and news/current affairs content and become yet another automated jukebox, voice tracked (sounds live but isn't) from a warehouse in Slough or wherever. As to 'disastrous audience' I'd love to compare MR's to his. But then he doesn't have any independent numbers for us to look at...

Edited by Stu Peters
  • Like 1

While all of Stu's post might be fair comment in the battle between the three local stations, he decides to ignore the bigger point: there is not point in PSB radio anymore and there hasn't been for a long time.

The money spent should be ringfenced and spent on promoting a plurality of content from local providers delivering content in all formats, and should also fund a news service.

We should not be subsidising Phil Collins through PRS fees out of a stretched public purse. 

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

'Too many staff'. It takes as many people to run a full service radio station with 85,000 potential listeners as it does for 850,000 or 8½ million.

Can we just look at that the other way a second:

So it would take as many people to run a full service radio station with 85,000 potential listeners as it does for 8,500 or 850.

Or to go further and to emphasize the point...85 people.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2