Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

3 hours ago, snowman said:

if you dont like their funding model, turn it off.

The problem is that we're still paying for it regardless of whether we listen to it or not. I pay my licence fee because I like some (not all) of the BBC's content, I pay a Netflix subscription because I like some (not all) of their content, I have paid for Sky but I no longer like their content so I stopped paying, ditto Amazon Prime. I don't get a choice to not pay for Manx Radio as the funds are taken out of direct taxation and those that aren't result in wall to wall adverts that makes Manx Radios actual content unlistenable.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, gettafa said:

There can be little doubt that many of the 'news' team at Manx Radio are simply riding the gravy train. And they know which side of their bread is dripping with dripping.

Think you'll find the news team aren't paid half as much as the senior sales team.

37 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The problem is that we're still paying for it regardless of whether we listen to it or not. I pay my licence fee because I like some (not all) of the BBC's content, I pay a Netflix subscription because I like some (not all) of their content, I have paid for Sky but I no longer like their content so I stopped paying, ditto Amazon Prime. I don't get a choice to not pay for Manx Radio as the funds are taken out of direct taxation and those that aren't result in wall to wall adverts that makes Manx Radios actual content unlistenable.

But you also pay towards farming grants, busses, schools, overseas aid etc, etc., without being consulted. Things you don’t use no doubt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

We know many of these continue and have increased since 2013, even though the underlying subvention hasn't gone up.  It also ignores the costs of any capital works that have been done for Manx Radio and which would normally come out of the station's budget over a number of years.

Allowing for this and inflation does make you think that the actual cost to the Manx government of Manx Radio isn't much different from what it would cost for the BBC to run the station.  Which makes you wonder where all the commercial revenue goes to.

The fact still remains, despite what Juan and his personal agenda might say, that the Gov of the day have a duty to keep their electorate informed of what they are doing and why. Or in the case of Tynwald what they are not doing which just happens to be commercially confidential.

The best medium to do this is the wireless.

So they have to have an MR or similar which has to be paid for.....

A better target for all this cost-cutting angst would be Tynwald itself.

So complete your survey and back up my take that the denizens of Tynwald should be paid an attendance of £200 per day for turning up. Which for a population of 80k is bloody generous compared to The House of Lord's £300 per day with a population of 65 million! MHK's should also get £200 per day claimable booked against time spent on their duties as an MHK.

There are usually about 260 working days per annum. So it's decent I think.

There. That should get shot of the freeloading troughers sort the wheat from the chaff...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

if no one listens to it then advertising revenue drops. then  if there are no listeners it would be politically unacceptable for it to be funded through taxes

I've got my Manx Radio listening down to around twelve minutes a day, purely for local information. This is it:

Radio goes on around 6:55 for the 7:00 am news.

I get the end of some noisy music that I hate, then straight into some half-wit with a thought for the day.

The cheap-as-chips 'news' is read out. Invariably there's little real content, research or substance.

Then the weather forecast (most important) which is usually O.K. depending on who's reading it.

Finally a sprint for the off button and Radio 4 before Chris Williams plays some more shite music.

That's it till the next day.

(It's even worse at weekends)

It doesn't have to be like this...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

The best medium to do this is the wireless

I don't know anyone who.listens to local radio. Not any of the legacy stations. Unless forced to in a queue. 

So clearly it's only a good way of reaching the sort of people.who ever listen to local radio - or pop music radio in general.

The TV, radio and satellite spectrum should be sold off. The old fashioned broadcasting model no longer makes any sense. Less but better content is the thing now.

Manx Radio, specifically, should have been turned off a decade ago or so ago and the money instead spent on a content production operation dedicated to producing only the stuff which matters or is unique and special. Not the endless stream of jabber.

Edited by pongo

42 minutes ago, snowman said:

if no one listens to it then advertising revenue drops. then  if there are no listeners it would be politically unacceptable for it to be funded through taxes

Listening figures are dropping and will keep dropping as people curate their own content via podcasts and music streaming services. As has been pointed out previously politicians won't do anything to Manx Radio as long as they keep giving them airtime. Why would they get rid of something that keeps their profile up?