Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

9 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I think there is a sea change up at the MR newsroom. There are a lot of young hacks in there, and they have come up to speed pretty quickly. The ‘communications release’ broadcasting does remain an issue. Most of them are vapid, and add nothing to the Island picture, but because Minister X has said something there seems to be a compulsion to publish it. 

Ignoring a few might make the Cabinet Office Comms room up its game?

I think a 'sea change' might be a bit strong, but I have noticed a few signs of journalism breaking out and, as you say, it seems to be the youngsters who are behind it.  They also seem to be keener on using online media to perpetuate the stories.  How long this will last for before they all revert to rewriting press releases in the hope they will get the job of writing them in the first place for twice the money, is another matter. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Augustus said:

As far as I can see, most of the young 'uns missed the bit of their education where you learn how to express yourself clearly, intelligibly and eloquently.

Also in the Queens English.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The weather forecasts are the worst, some giggling woman, one that needs an interpreter and one that sounds as if he has a bag on his head.   Then the news comes on and it's mumble Caine.   

Have to agree.  Professionalism seams to have long passed.   No one gives a s**t anymore.  The carry on at 7:15 each morning with Chris Williams and Co. is absolutely embarrassing. Not entirely sure what they are trying to produce. And my all time hate is Caine trying to pronounce names in their mother tongue. Nothing short of pure cringeworthiness.  Like a scene from the Fast Show.  Eth eth eth eth, eth eth eth eth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Burt said:

Have to agree.  Professionalism seams to have long passed.   No one gives a s**t anymore.  The carry on at 7:15 each morning with Chris Williams and Co. is absolutely embarrassing. Not entirely sure what they are trying to produce.

I used to tune in at 07:15 but yes, it got embarrassing, when t'lass is on (although she is good at doing Mandate itself). I think it was meant to be a preview of Mandate but it's turned into a waste of air time. I'm sure the folk who avoid mandate and stay on AM would agree especially. This supposed 'chemistry' between male/female presenters went out in the 1980s when the BBC 'discovered' it. It was just as embarrassing then.

Brindley is Programme Controller. Which explains a lot. And he got mentioned on Steve Wright in the Afternoon this week, so there will be no stopping him now.

• Like 1

Brindley seems to be golden bollocks up there and the main reason that I've finally given up on Manx Radio. After many years absence I tuned in to Stu's programme the other week but after ten minutes of adverts and 'record of the week' (Which was shite) I tuned back to the BBC. Won't make that mistake again.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Brindley seems to be golden bollocks up there and the main reason that I've finally given up on Manx Radio. After many years absence I tuned in to Stu's programme the other week but after ten minutes of adverts and 'record of the week' (Which was shite) I tuned back to the BBC. Won't make that mistake again.   

I also find it almost impossible to listen to MR these days. With all the Brexit / Trump crap in the news I have given up with Radio 2 / Radio Cornwall and rediscovered the joy of Radio 3 - but even that's been going downmarket this year.

Thank goodness for France Musique.

Edited by GD4ELI

35 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

I also find it almost impossible to listen to MR these days. With all the Brexit / Trump crap in the news I have given up with Radio 2 / Radio Cornwall and rediscovered the joy of Radio 3 - but even that's been going downmarket this year.

Thank goodness for France Musique. - said nobody ever

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/16/2019 at 9:57 PM, GD4ELI said:

Thank goodness for France Musique.

Radio 3 breathes such rarified air that it has a lot of scope for going downmarket.