Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Personally speaking, I suspect most stories like that come direct from source and it's probably easier to put a couple of lines on the news than to tell the caller 'nobody cares', which would just create another hater.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Personally speaking, I suspect most stories like that come direct from source and it's probably easier to put a couple of lines on the news than to tell the caller 'nobody cares', which would just create another hater.

Or take the story but don’t print it. How’s that for thinking? Something the station severely lacks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I’m sure you’re right but it doesn’t say much for editorial integrity does it?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

This is the 4th hurricane this guy has miraculously avoided now. Stop holidaying around that area in late august early September would be my advice

He’s asking for trouble even publicising it really. He’ll be lucky if they don’t turn him away at Ronaldsway as some sort of harbinger. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Great. What's the number for the newsroom? I'd like to tell them how great Energy FM is compared to the dross on the Nation's Station.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Thank you for providing me with another opportunity for my favourite game...

MR Headline

Laxey man caught up in star’s murder.

Billy Braindead, who visited Mines Road for over seven minutes in 1966 when on holiday from Scunthorpe, was stunned by his exposure to the death of a music legend. Billy’s cousin’s dog-walker’s sister’s librarian’s hairdresser’s gardener’s next door neighbour’s plumber’s brother’s pub landlord’s dentist was eight streets away pissing in a shop doorway when John Lennon was shot.

”I’m still in shock 39 years later” revealed an ashen faced Billy.

Brilliant 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, WKRP said:

So with very few DJs on their usual shows ahead of the big relaunch they reveal that Howard Caine is coming off news to co-present with the afternoon girls on a 3 hour version of the same show.

That leaves Brindle without his slot, might be a good move.

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. 

What's needed up there is a shed load of P45s, closing down the ridiculous 'Broadcasting House' and a downsizing to a more suitable location. Plenty of empty government owned office space they should be working out of.

This guy would  be a great replacement for all of the daytime presenters. He even has loads of hospital radio experience so would fit right in! 

Edited by foxdaleliberationfront

2 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. 

What's needed up there is a shed load of P45s, closing down the ridiculous 'Broadcasting House' and a downsizing to a more suitable location. Plenty of empty government owned office space they should be working out of.

Do you object to staff there having a nice view of the bay? Have you any idea how much it would cost to move, or did you decide it was a couple of hours for a man with a van? Given the improvements to the building over decades (which being ex-miltary is probably unsuitable for much else) to make it fit for its exact purpose do you really think you'd save anything? And who will you replace all of us you'd like to see fired with? Oh, of course, you'd give it to Energy as you're such a fan...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Do you object to staff there having a nice view of the bay? Have you any idea how much it would cost to move, or did you decide it was a couple of hours for a man with a van? Given the improvements to the building over decades (which being ex-miltary is probably unsuitable for much else) to make it fit for its exact purpose do you really think you'd save anything? And who will you replace all of us you'd like to see fired with? Oh, of course, you'd give it to Energy as you're such a fan...

Energy make it work from a much more humble studio in Tromode... but then they don't have open access to the taxpayers chequebook! 

The Energy breakfast presenter does a decent job. There are a couple of presenters on 3FM who do a decent job too. To be honest it's worth a gamble. It can't be much worse than it is now! 

If it's CQ on Energy, he'd be the first to admit he learnt his craft at Manx Radio. Nice chap. George Ferguson on 3FM is my favourite radio voice on the Island and a class act. Not that I'd admit to liking either of them in public of course...

4 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

If it's CQ on Energy, he'd be the first to admit he learnt his craft at Manx Radio. Nice chap. George Ferguson on 3FM is my favourite radio voice on the Island and a class act. Not that I'd admit to liking either of them in public of course...

Brilliant. With Manx Radio's massive C.£1m budget we can sign them up! 

Interesting comment from Juan Turner on his recent interview with Paul Moulton, sounds like another privately funded station aimed at an older audience may be on the way.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:18 PM, Stu Peters said:

Have you any idea how much it would cost to move, or did you decide it was a couple of hours for a man with a van? Given the improvements to the building over decades ...

The last major refurb (and probably the one before that too) with expensive new equipment such as DJ desks, tech, sound proofing etc was carried out at a time when people were pointing out that you could literally run a 'national radio station' from an industrial estate, or even your living room/garage (see David Jacobs,  correction Desmond Carrington    BBC).

But the protest was that you couldn't possibly think of moving Manx Radio after spending all this money on all that bespoke equipment. And so the ratchet was turned. Manx Radio was dug in up there on the Head.

Edited by gettafa
  • Thanks 1