Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Amplify are pretty good and they've been a positive working alongside MR.

MR had a number of very talented people employed on the sales/social media etc side and pretty much all have left citing the same reasons.  It's staggering how much one person seems to have got away with although now that Pugh has gone and been replaced by someone from the UK things may change.  Sadly, it'll no doubt involve a pay off (always seems to be the way) when if things had been managed correctly that person would be long down the road for no cost.

I know someone called Thomas and I once met a cook. Isle of Man newspapers are running an 8 page special in the Indy this week under the banner “Uhtred’s Non-Existant Holiday Hell”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/23/2019 at 5:56 PM, Gizo said:

Looking forward to the Scoop of the year, as Manx Family wandered past Thomas Cook shop once and are now stranded in Onchan and the government need to help them. 

It's been a long hard search, but they've finally found the poor suffering victims they need.  Apparently a couple who have booked a holiday next year may actually have to book with someone else.  Oh the humanity!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As we get ready to give a Manx Radio another go in October I think we need to talk about the current state of the news output.

Continually on a Monday morning the service is at its weakest. Time and again leading with a out of date story from the previous week. News is a seven day a week operation and for a newsroom that employs around 10 people. To be fair thing do seem to pick up later in the mornings.

This Monday Howard Caine introduced the lead story at 7am which featured his sister-in-law over the climate change demo on Friday,  this just can’t be called news. Surly an update from someone else over the weekend would have worked, or even an item from the Sunday lunchtime chat show.

Today was interesting as during the day all other island media websites gave mention to the Freedom Travel travel agency having to  temporally closure due to the situation at Thomas Cook, but not Manx Radio’s, as far as I can see. Could this have anything to do with that company being a big advertiser on the station?

The new station boss is also producing items today on a Mandate about the armed services, which I understand he has a great interest in. But why has he not yet been interviewed on his role as the MD and what he expects to do on the new direction for the station. He’s been in the job now for some months, it would be interesting to hear his ideas for the station, also a bit about his background in radio etc. Is it only Radio Caroline and BFBS?

The stations own report into future funding is now with CoMin and so far I understand is underwhelming the ministers. Treasury had asked for a dynamic proposal to continue into the 21st Century but seems to have got a ‘steady as she goes’ report. I hear that the position of the Chairman and board members positions might be changed.

Saying that, five years ago Eddie Teare just received the report which allowed the station to plod on for another 5 years until this latest investigation.

Stating the obvious but, the station doesn't have to try, it doesn't have to survive and stand on its own, with such generous government (taxpayers) support.

As with the legions of Isle of Man government civil civil servants, 9-5, five days a week is the goal. Anymore and you can whistle for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Stating the obvious but, the station doesn't have to try, it doesn't have to survive and stand on its own, with such generous government (taxpayers) support.

As with the legions of Isle of Man government civil civil servants, 9-5, five days a week is the goal. Anymore and you can whistle for it.

Bit like the TT really.

15 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic 

My expectations are low!

On 9/22/2019 at 11:23 AM, Gagster said:

Is that why the modern aspect of the sales delivery has to be done by an external UK team? (the S2 Blue company based in Manchester).https://ibb.co/fxzfpLJ

They fly over and do client sessions with local businesses, they call it the ‘Amplify’ sales programme.  

S2Blue is the company that make a lot of the adverts and also the “nation’s station” jingles.

https://ibb.co/2dWW7XZ

Blue2 adverts are cringworthy. I remember a few years ago Stu Peters saying that he was going to set up a media company to produce the adverts here (or am I wrong Stu?). My pet hates are the voices used, eg  the woman who does the Manx Telecom ads, the  one who does the stairlift one and any that use children's voices :) 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Snaipyr said:

My expectations are low!

Blue2 adverts are cringworthy. I remember a few years ago Stu Peters saying that he was going to set up a media company to produce the adverts here (or am I wrong Stu?). My pet hates are the voices used, eg  the woman who does the Manx Telecom ads, the  one who does the stairlift one and any that use children's voices :) 

You mean all the shit locally produced ones?

The ones that use the sing song grating children's voices are the ones that make me turn for the off button....my mummy says......etc excruciating.    If you listen to Carnaby street the adverts in the 60's were way ahead of the current ones, really catchy tunes.   The Shell jingle, the Kodak film, Double Diamond etc.if they are remembered all these years later by one who cannot recall what they ate yesterday they must have had something.