Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

9 hours ago, Snaipyr said:

My pet hates are the voices used, eg  the woman who does the Manx Telecom ads, the  one who does the stairlift one and any that use children's voices :) 

It sounds like they stopped using precocious children and found a lungful of helium in an adult works just as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The ones that use the sing song grating children's voices are the ones that make me turn for the off button....my mummy says......etc excruciating.    If you listen to Carnaby street the adverts in the 60's were way ahead of the current ones, really catchy tunes.   The Shell jingle, the Kodak film, Double Diamond etc.if they are remembered all these years later by one who cannot recall what they ate yesterday they must have had something.

All big budget national campaigns I expect. Bit like comparing a full page VW Beetle ad from the 70's with a classified ad for Sid Snot's Used Car Pitch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Ok point taken so why do Manx Radio not look further afield for its adverts, Islanders use national brands...if a pirate ship could do it.....

National brands use ad agencies to buy airtime across stations the width and breadth of the country.  They buy on a 'cost per thousand' (CPT) basis - ie, they pay a certain amount per 1000 listeners delivered.  You don't hear many national brands here, in the Channel Islands, or on small independent stations as they simply don't generate enough listeners, and therefore, revenue for the station, whom can sell the same airtime to a local advertiser for significantly more.  You'll only hear national brands on air on these small stations if the airtime has been bought locally using National ad copy, or if the station's ad inventory is empty - where they consider that some revenue is preferable to none.

• Like 1

Heard some details of the 'exciting' changes coming in the next couple of weeks. Live on air from 5am (not interested), Stu Peters moved to graveyard shift, Andy Wint taking over lunch time slot....and Brindley continues to be in charge of programming/scheduling etc.........bye bye Manx Radio.

• Haha 1

They managed to get rid of Andy Wint then he managed to get back in, doing the late shift, and now daytime Talking Heads and the news thing at night.

Stu Peters expressed his opinions openingly and entertainingly and it stimulated debate. He is not afraid to offer other people's opnions no matter how contrary to his own.  And never - unless it was absolutely essential - censored any communication to the show.

You couldn't give a simple sentence containing a weather report to Andy Wint without him altering or amending the meaning as if he somehow knows better.

OK, I'll give him a chance but I can't see a leopard changing its spots, or a somewhat arrogant person mellowing and managing to keep his rather meaningless opinions to himself

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, sausage said:

Heard some details of the 'exciting' changes coming in the next couple of weeks. Live on air from 5am (not interested), Stu Peters moved to graveyard shift, Andy Wint taking over lunch time slot....and Brindley continues to be in charge of programming/scheduling etc.........bye bye Manx Radio.

Terrible changes. Normally only tune in for news headlines and Talking Heads. 

Why get rid of Stu Peters?  Andy Wint is crap.  

Another bye bye Manx Radio. 

• Like 2

For the avoidance of doubt (and you know I love a good conspiracy theory) I've not been dropped, sacked or shifted -  the move to the late show was my choice. It suits my odd body clock better (I'm a night owl) and it allows me to have more fun as it's after the watershed. It was what I originally wanted to do 20 years ago when I started knocking on Manx Radio's door - I was always a fan of late night radio in the UK (Stannage, Whale, Dicken et al).

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

For the avoidance of doubt (and you know I love a good conspiracy theory) I've not been dropped, sacked or shifted -  the move to the late show was my choice. It suits my odd body clock better (I'm a night owl) and it allows me to have more fun as it's after the watershed. It was what I originally wanted to do 20 years ago when I started knocking on Manx Radio's door - I was always a fan of late night radio in the UK (Stannage, Whale, Dicken et al).

Enjoy!

• Like 1