Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, CharlieBrown said:

Only someone on the brink of topping themselves would tune into Manx Radio at 10pm to get the final push..

I do hope you'll be listening then Charlie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Gagster said:

Alex Brindley said the other day on Mandate that the station will be ‘live’ 5am-10pm.  I take it Stu will not be ‘live’ at 10pm.

The 5am one is weird to me - cutting into your breakfast show at 7.30am and changing presenting team is just odd. Does anyone really need to listen to Manx Radio at 5am? Or was it just a case of having to find a space to accommodate all the legacy presenters without upsetting anyone?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

The 5am one is weird to me - cutting into your breakfast show at 7.30am and changing presenting team is just odd. Does anyone really need to listen to Manx Radio at 5am? Or was it just a case of having to find a space to accommodate all the legacy presenters without upsetting anyone?

No. It’s the excuse to get more money. 

9 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

I wondered if being moved from prime time breakfast to 5am and gone at 7.30 would not upset Mr Williams. Of course from 7.30 was only on AM while everyone listened to Mandate. I am also struck by the fact that this bold new sound features no new voices whatsoever. "Think you've heard Manx Radio?" "Well, yes, actually."

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Gagster said:

I see from this new report that the Manx Radio people are asking for an increase to the subvention - of £95k.

They are asking that the the subvention rises from £899,830 to £995,000 from April next year.

http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/sittings/20182021/2019-GD-0045.pdf

That's not all they're requesting they want to stay in old and crammed broadcasting house for no particular reason and put the shares back into trust because that worked so well last time.

It’s a shame Stu is moving,  talking heads is about the only slot on manx radio i can listen to for more than 5 mins and in all fairness he does it very well, I can understand some people’s view of Winty but at least he broadcasts in a strong clear voice unlike a lot of there broadcasters who just mumble incoherently also a couple of the weather forecasters are poor speakers I hardly get a word in.

Anyway good luck on your new show Stu am sure it’ll be a success are you modelling yourself on Gary Cole who was the midnight caller a programme than ran 1988/1991 ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Snaipyr said:

No matter what the supposed 'new sound' will be it'll certainly not be immediately recognisable as being broadcast from the IOM. Tune into RTE1  and you instantly know it's Irish radio!

Manx Radio fails miserably in trying to be 'Manx' (whatever that may be). Certain presenters should just naturally be themselves. 

Throwing in the contrived word "Foxtul" (translation = Foxdale) or 'Andrusss' (translation= Andreas) makes it not Manx anything, just comic theatrical Manx. I bet not one of those 'Foxtul', 'Andruss' presenters pronounced those words that way a couple of decades ago. 

• Like 1