Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

22 hours ago, gettafa said:

Can anyone tell me who is paying for all this stuff?

Darn!, If they put that gig out to tender I missed it. When I were a yoof and sound engineer of a notorious onshore pirate station the jingles were recorded by me and my mate Hank, both "singing", both playin' guitar, in my bedsit and me doing the recording. Cost less than two pints of lager and a packet of crisps, and no complaints from the listeners :)  Radio stars of today don't know they're born.

Seriously, dunno how much these cost but I do wonder whether quite such lavish production is appropriate in these straightened times. I'm planning to listen to the new MR tomorrow to give it a chance, but as I previously only bothered turning on for Mandate and Talking Heads I'm not very optimistic.

• Like 2

The thing that sticks in my craw, as someone points out earlier, is that there is more than enough talent and recording space to have written, engineered and produced this on-island. 

I would wager that this wasn’t even considered in the planning. It really is par for the course though. I went to a presentation on the Entrepreneurial Ecosystem this week. A UK company had been brought in to find out what was up with it.

Not surprisingly, there was nothing in it that local people hadn’t been telling DFE for a number of years now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well I don't think we're quite sure what the BBC gives the Isle of Man in return for its £5 million or whatever licence fee. Maybe more of that could fund MR, at least there would be the BBC keeping an eye on where its wonga is going rather than Tynwald on behalf of the taxpayer.

But the BBC doe give a couple of 'news reporters' some cushy employment to try and shut us all up.

Edited by gettafa