Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

Darn!, If they put that gig out to tender I missed it. When I were a yoof and sound engineer of a notorious onshore pirate station the jingles were recorded by me and my mate Hank, both "singing", both playin' guitar, in my bedsit and me doing the recording. Cost less than two pints of lager and a packet of crisps, and no complaints from the listeners :)  Radio stars of today don't know they're born.

Seriously, dunno how much these cost but I do wonder whether quite such lavish production is appropriate in these straightened times. I'm planning to listen to the new MR tomorrow to give it a chance, but as I previously only bothered turning on for Mandate and Talking Heads I'm not very optimistic.

The last package was done in similar manner by S2Blue. Maybe even the one before. They do, or certainly did, a lot of the commercials too.

http://imaging.s2blue.com/Radio-Jingles-Imaging-Manx-Radio-p61.aspx

It always seemed like an own goal to me to go for such seemingly ostentatious statements when you are continually under the cosh from government and public for profligacy. If I was the new guy there I would be asking for local talent to come in and do a lot of this stuff. It's not as though he isn't accustomed to having to operate on a shoestring, having been involved with Radio Caroline.

18 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

The jingles are not going to get people tuning in, 

That's my view. OK, I get that it's ten years since the current jingles arrived, but who really cares about that? This is what drives my thinking that it's an own goal to waste money when you are being exhorted by all and sundry to bring your costs down.

If I'm not mistaken, Three still use the same IDs that they started off with in 2003. Do they suffer in any way because of that? There is an argument to say that, on the contrary, it's an established signature that people become comfortable with. Especially in a place that is notorious for resisting change. I'm fairly certain that if Three or Energy decided to get some new jingles, they wouldn't be recorded at Abbey Rd Studios by members of the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra as those last ones appear to have been.

I often support Manx Radio against its detractors, and always have. Sometimes they don't make it easy.

Edited by woolley

1 hour ago, woolley said:

I'm fairly certain that if Three or Energy decided to get some new jingles, they wouldn't be recorded at Abbey Rd Studios by members of the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra as those last ones appear to have been.

I often support Manx Radio against its detractors, and always have. Sometimes they don't make it easy.

It's 80Hz Recording Studios in Manchester.

For real vanity recording, Abbey Road Studios is the number 1.

So tomorrow’s the big day.

As far as the marketing of the “listen again” campaign goes it could be a massive gamble. Remember the big relaunch of ITVs breakfast show with the two presenters from the one show. ITVs marketing department went into overdrive but the public just didn’t buy into it. Expectations too high and the rest is history.

We even had the site of Brindley and new the MD going round the island putting up banners for the relaunch, BTW the writing is far to small/TMO to read if you’re passing in a car,

It’s been interesting that when the select committee sat last year, and came up with very radical plans, there was no public outcry to save the station, the days of the Kreisky takeover are... well over.

The new look on Monday has not raised many eyebrows. Keeping all the DJs employed seems to be the main criteria rather than engaging the listeners again but we need to wait and see. The remake of the jingles also could be a home goal spending more money off island rather then looking local.  

Looking at the RAJAR figures you’re looking at about 50-70 people tuning in between midnight to 7am, which doesn’t bode well for either Mr Williams or Peters. Smaller stations would usually save money with recorded presenters at those times to put more resources into the main output.

Mr Peters has promised an edger late show which might be interesting, but telling the out going lunchtime audience the other day that  you won’t allow swearing might backfire as I don’t believe they have a delay system. Who’s going to be first to test the system?

I’m guess the breakfast RAJAR will take a hit in the short term however good the programme is as finally the station can’t count the two different programmes on AM & FM together.

Lets all give it a go on Monday and wish them well.

38 minutes ago, WKRP said:

Looking at the RAJAR figures you’re looking at about 50-70 people tuning in between midnight to 7am, which doesn’t bode well for either Mr Williams or Peters. Smaller stations would usually save money with recorded presenters at those times to put more resources into the main output.

The late show will do ok, and maybe it will shorten the above period. 

Ditto for the morning show from the other end.

38 minutes ago, WKRP said:

Mr Peters has promised an edger late show which might be interesting, but telling the out going lunchtime audience the other day that  you won’t allow swearing might backfire as I don’t believe they have a delay system. Who’s going to be first to test the system?

There's no need for swearing anyway. Unless you are a schoolboy sitting on the public bus and have an urge to be 'naughty' in front of all the quiet and sensible adults.

The sometimes somewhat foolish Chris Kinley used to love telling TT riders not to swear as they were on the air. Telling them not to swear, there is no better way to egg on riders to be a bit 'naughty' (see above re schoolboys) and 'edgey'.

Edited by gettafa

1 hour ago, CharlieBrown said:

Because everyone had assumed that he had been appointed the CEO some time back (certainly we all have in discussions) and even the Department's own page gives that impression ("Dan Davies is the Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for a budget of around £30 million") with nothing about interim or anything[1].  So when it came out at the Social Affairs Policy Review Committee that he was technically only the interim one, it caused some surprise.  He'd been appointed as such over a year ago, but everyone assumed he had since been made permanent.

There's a bigger story here - one very symptomatic of the Quayle administration.  They seem very unwilling to make any decisions - even over who to appoint to positions.  If in doubt just commission another review and claim they can't do anything until that reports.  The new DHSC CEO is similarly interim and others have come and gone once their contract is over.  Maybe they're just waiting for the right candidate to turn up on a Harley.

[1]  Interestingly Davies' own LinkedIn doesn't mention the DHA at all.  I assumed he just hadn't updated, but it may have been leaving things ambiguous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1