Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

18 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

What was the main thing wrong with it? 

Just not my style. Music I don't like, continuity I didn't enjoy, news thin, I'm clearly not the target demographic. Came across like a poor imitation of Radio 2, which also gets the off switch, further diminished by the annoying adverts. 

I expect it has been researched and will suit some folks, but not for me. I got on OK with the old Mandate, I would turn on the radio to listen to that, but by default the radio is off, I switch it on to listen to specific content, I'm not a background radio listener.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craggy_steve said:

OK, so I tried the new MR. Not for me, I held out for 7 minutes of the breakfast show but I'm clearly not part of the target demographic so switched off. Turned on again for the news at 8, but I don't think that 5 minutes a day is really the listening time the new boss was hoping for and the news summary was thin - wanted to turn it off again but hung on in there for the whole 5 minutes to give them a fair trial, I guess I must be one of the Internet generation.

Similar thoughts here...though as off  today had the chance to 'listen' all the way through. Which was a chore to be honest. Don't know what these people at MR think most people are doing in the mornings when they wake up, have breakfast and get ready for work. Most people don't have a radio in the kitchen AND bedroom AND living room...and kind of plan their listening around what's on. Typically for me that's been waking to the news and weather at 7am...listen to the news/weather for 10 mins...do the 3 S's and prep breakfast, then at 7.30am to 8 listen to a bit more in-depth news eating breakfast. If the news is interesting...hanging on 8 to 8.30 sometimes.

Not only dumbed down summary news this morning, but probably at least 8 or more tunes I didn't want to hear, painful waffle and the verbose opinions of 2 inexperienced presenters...and the remainder...50% adverts. So in short Dragons...I'm out. Will prob switch to listening to the 7am news on MR and watch BBC Breakfast from 7.30am tomorrow. And as for that "Where's Wotton?"...cringeworthy...at least they got the theme 'tune' right (where's Wally).

A large retrograde step for MR this change IMO. Bring back Mandate and keep it to more in-depth questions that people want their politicians, individuals or organisations etc. to answer or be accountable for.

MR lost me as a supporter this morning. This dumb down exercise will be loved by those issuing government press releases and those not wanting to answer awkward questions.

Manx Radio might as well just have 1 show a day all day from now on. The shit show.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

A large retrograde step for MR this change IMO. Bring back Mandate and keep it to more in-depth questions that people want their politicians, individuals or organisations etc. to answer or be accountable for.

You got it succinctly AT. Exactly what "they" don't want. Bet the subvention increase gets approved now.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

OK, so I tried the new MR. Not for me, I held out for 7 minutes of the breakfast show but I'm clearly not part of the target demographic so switched off. Turned on again for the news at 8, but I don't think that 5 minutes a day is really the listening time the new boss was hoping for and the news summary was thin - wanted to turn it off again but hung on in there for the whole 5 minutes to give them a fair trial, I guess I must be one of the Internet generation.

#metoo

At 7:30 I listened until the start of the first piece of music, 'Dodgy' and before the first bar was over I had switched to BBC Radio 4. I can only handle so much of Nicola Sturgeon and the Today programme was laden with Brexit and dire rubbish. So I turned back to MR for the news, but it just seemed to be a continuation of the rest of the programme.

I've been listening to Mandate since the days of Charles Guard, David Callister, the lad Peters et al (contrary to Mossie's apparent self-assertion, he isn't and never was the be all and end all of Manx Radio Mandate).

At some point I did hear a bit of the Where Am I thing - is it repeated throughout the show? How irritating. The answer could be just about anywhere. Hearing people's guesses is about as dumbed down as radio can get.

I should give it a chance but nahh, I'm out too.

Who can I blame for all this? It has to be Alex Brindley, Programme Controller and sitter in of the lavish jingle fest. He is probably the most childish person I have ever heard on Manx Radio (no disrespect intended, it's a useful epithet, I am sure some people like that stuff)

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because everyone had assumed that he had been appointed the CEO some time back (certainly we all have in discussions) and even the Department's own page gives that impression ("Dan Davies is the Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for a budget of around £30 million") with nothing about interim or anything[1].  So when it came out at the Social Affairs Policy Review Committee that he was technically only the interim one, it caused some surprise.  He'd been appointed as such over a year ago, but everyone assumed he had since been made permanent.

There's a bigger story here - one very symptomatic of the Quayle administration.  They seem very unwilling to make any decisions - even over who to appoint to positions.  If in doubt just commission another review and claim they can't do anything until that reports.  The new DHSC CEO is similarly interim and others have come and gone once their contract is over.  Maybe they're just waiting for the right candidate to turn up on a Harley.

[1]  Interestingly Davies' own LinkedIn doesn't mention the DHA at all.  I assumed he just hadn't updated, but it may have been leaving things ambiguous.

I had the impression from MInister Thomas that departments were being removed or reduced in number

Maybe there is a big fight going on in government we just don't hear about

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Oh...and I reckon 3fm will be looking at an opening with all this. 

Are you there Ron?

Are you there......

He'll be asleep. He's got the best slot suited to him...the 5am to 7am when 99.9% of people are still dreaming of what could have been and most dogs are chasing imaginary rabbits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I gave Talking Heads half an hour.

There is no one smarter or as clever than Mr Wint on this Island. Every txt, email and caller will be met with a wall of patronisation. Like discussing a matter with your parents when you were a kid.

Jeremy Vine, BBC Radio2...here I come

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 4

I'm not much of a listener to Manx Radio (though obviously I use their online stuff) but it seems to me to be a very odd decision to conclude that, because people are switching off after the news, the solution is to make the rest of the programme less newsy.  On the surface it's also odd to demand extra money for running the station while decreasing the amount of the more expensive current affairs output in favour of cheaper alternatives.  Though of course, as noted above, that may also suit politicians and civil servants looking for reduced scrutiny.  In which case any increase in subvention will be a reward for not doing the job rather than funding for a better service.

• Like 2

There are lots of odd things really. The presentation of the programmes seems very 1970s - even by the younger broadcasters like Alex Brindley. Presumably this is meant to appeal to the older listeners. At the same time much of the music played is last 10 or 15 years. The two don't go together. Perhaps it is aimed at pleasing everybody, but the danger is that it risks pleasing nobody.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Well I gave Talking Heads half an hour.

There is no one smarter or as clever than Mr Wint on this Island. Every txt, email and caller will be met with a wall of patronisation. Like discussing a matter with your parents when you were a kid.

Jeremy Vine, BBC Radio2...here I come

I've gone to Radio 5

• Like 1