Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

6 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Any news on the whereabouts of Chris Kinley yet?

It’s probably a bit like Pulp Fiction. Perhaps he’s in the basement ball gagged waiting for the man in the comfy jumper and the gimp mask to come back and let him out? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So in looking once more at the schedule kindly linked by Mr. Peters, I note the programme "Moghrey Jedoonee in the Afternoon". With my fantastic English knowledge of Manx Gaelic, I thought that Moghrey Jedoonee meant Sunday Morning. So now we have "Sunday Morning in the Afternoon". Well, it's different, I suppose.

• Like 1

I don't think the other two radio stations have enough money to offer any freelance Manx Radio presenters a job, even if they wanted them. Which is also probably very unlikely seeing as both stations are owned by ex staff members of the Nation Station.

Give it a week or so before making your mind up about the new schedule - like anything it will take a while for the players to find their feet. Whilst I'm looking forward to my new slot tonight, I know it'll be a shambles of missed cues and cock-ups until I get the hang of it. People on here have been calling for a shake-up for years...now it's happened you don't like it! As for deckchair arranging, there aren't hundreds of radio presenters here lining up for jobs, so it's inevitable that existing, reliable and proven resources are recycled. Should the bosses have imported more English freelancers?

I'm not a spokesman for the station, or a member of management privy to their discussions with government - but for all those banging on (again) about funding, my understanding is that the station has never 'demanded' anything. But every government report in the last 20 years has concluded that the station we all own as taxpayers is doing a good job and needs to be properly funded. I think Tynwald has repeatedly voted to do that and then failed when the money for their pensions started to run out - so the station has to keep going back and saying 'tell us what you want us to do'. Of course it could operate on less money, but that would of course impact on and reduce the service to another voice-tracked digital jukebox. The government could demand a rebate on the UK licence fee to fund the station (my favourite solution but I expect it might not be possible). It could be given to the BBC, but do proud Manxies really want a foreign broadcaster calling the shots? Tynwald could decide to fully fund the station and allow it to drop commercials, but there are arguments against that too. Radio TT could be self-funding but I think (I may well be wrong) that now they 'own' the event they also want any revenue.

What I'm saying is that there probably aren't any demands from Manx Radio - it simply wants a better steer from Tynwald than 'we want you to do everything we want, and more, but for less money'.

7 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Give it a week or so before making your mind up about the new schedule - like anything it will take a while for the players to find their feet. Whilst I'm looking forward to my new slot tonight, I know it'll be a shambles of missed cues and cock-ups until I get the hang of it. People on here have been calling for a shake-up for years...now it's happened you don't like it! As for deckchair arranging, there aren't hundreds of radio presenters here lining up for jobs, so it's inevitable that existing, reliable and proven resources are recycled. Should the bosses have imported more English freelancers?

I'm not a spokesman for the station, or a member of management privy to their discussions with government - but for all those banging on (again) about funding, my understanding is that the station has never 'demanded' anything. But every government report in the last 20 years has concluded that the station we all own as taxpayers is doing a good job and needs to be properly funded. I think Tynwald has repeatedly voted to do that and then failed when the money for their pensions started to run out - so the station has to keep going back and saying 'tell us what you want us to do'. Of course it could operate on less money, but that would of course impact on and reduce the service to another voice-tracked digital jukebox. The government could demand a rebate on the UK licence fee to fund the station (my favourite solution but I expect it might not be possible). It could be given to the BBC, but do proud Manxies really want a foreign broadcaster calling the shots? Tynwald could decide to fully fund the station and allow it to drop commercials, but there are arguments against that too. Radio TT could be self-funding but I think (I may well be wrong) that now they 'own' the event they also want any revenue.

What I'm saying is that there probably aren't any demands from Manx Radio - it simply wants a better steer from Tynwald than 'we want you to do everything we want, and more, but for less money'.

Do you have any insight to news & current affairs?

People are concerned - rightly or wrongly - that the heat is being taken off politicians with the new format