Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

I like to think I am a sincere friend of the nation's station :P

Any news on the whereabouts of Chris Kinley yet?

Not that sincere, otherwise you would have known that Chris Kinley is on the evening slot. Which I definitely won't be listening to. I don't need a DJ to provide their incisive and critical knowledge of "that's a good record". The rest is fresh from wiki/google. I can do that.

24 minutes ago, woolley said:

Do they still have that "Thought for the Day" religious piffle or has it finally been laid to rest? Been anachronistic for at least 30 years.

The Thought For The Day has never been billed as a religious slot, has it? There have been all sorts of folk on there, humanists, Greens, etc.  Granted few and far between perhaps but MR have never pushed it probably for fear of upsetting the sensibilities of the religious establishment. Unless I'm wrong the religious slot is mainly on Sundays and some late nights with Judith Ley.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

The Thought For The Day has never been billed as a religious slot, has it? There have been all sorts of folk on there, humanists, Greens, etc.  Granted few and far between perhaps but MR have never pushed it probably for fear of upsetting the sensibilities of the religious establishment. Unless I'm wrong the religious slot is mainly on Sundays and some late nights with Judith Ley.

So what is it for? Does it have a "do not touch - ever" tag on it? I get the impression that it even embarrasses the broadcasters.

35 minutes ago, woolley said:

Do they still have that "Thought for the Day" religious piffle or has it finally been laid to rest? Been anachronistic for at least 30 years.

It was still going pretty recently - and was the same juvenile rubbish as it always was. If the new schedule has dropped it, that would be a real advancement.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Even so, why? All they do is announce that the slot is about to start and advise who is broadcasting it.

Do you find it embarrassing?

No. I just turn it off. You get the rolling-eyes-to-the-heavens impression from the inflection of the voices "this is what I have to put up with". A bit like you got from Stu when he had a particularly idiotic or repetitive caller on Talking Heads.

ETA: I suppose they think it will lose them listeners. And they're right!

Edited by woolley

19 hours ago, Uhtred said:

You’ve alluded to the cataclysmically awful appointment of our Harley-mounted friend at DHSC so I’m delighted that the Quayle administration is confining their senior appointments to those of an interim nature only. Hopefully it is in itself an interim step to Quayle and his kindergarten chums taking the final step to actually making no decisions whatsoever and hence improving government at a stroke.

But the trouble is that it doesn't stop bad decisions quite the opposite.  Without the CEO (or with an interim who doesn't want to offend anyone) the underlings will continue with their merry ways even less constrained by common sense than they normally are.  An absent or a weak CEO (like Black at the DoI) will just mean they do whatever they fancy and the job of the CEO is just restricted to putting in the supplementary budget figures to pay for the follies.  And the Minister is just there to ritually apologise whenever things get too obvious.

There's an argument for saying that most of the CEOs are unnecessary (they didn't really exist when the ministerial system started).  But that would require Ministers who were prepared to actually take control of the operational department heads  and hold them to account and it is now discouraged by the way the system is set up.  Every reorganisation just puts in more well-paid middlemen to weaken political control and perpetuate the system. 

• Like 2

To me, I found the news every, what seemed like every 5 mins, a bit too much.

Later on in the day I switched the radio on to 'secret sound' - Christ on a bike!  I thought it was supposed to be a new thing, not re-runs of Alan Partridge shows. 

Andy made the output feel like it was the 1970s again, Beth still hacks me off when she tells everyone they are 'listening to Manx Ragio'.

Tried the other offerings, crashing intros, shite music - gave up. Went the Radio 2.