Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

To further digress from the awful subject of Manx Radio. The actual Manx property market reflects the movement in the income brackets that apply to Manx workers. The prevalence of mainly low paid jobs effectively cap out the market at around £350k and most of what's on above that will be picked off by the few who are earning decent money or who are moving here earning decent money. Most of what's come on the market in the last 18 months has been priced realistically anyway it's the ones that have been on the market for years at stupid prices that will never be sold as there are NO buyers at those prices. Below that it's just reflecting the fact that a lot of workers are in low paid jobs and can only borrow a certain amount of money against their relatively low income. They will only move up the chain so far as their income can't support anything else.

Despite this the answer seems to be to build more £225k first time buyer houses that no low earning Manx families can afford.

Edited by JackCarter
  • Like 3

This sort of Manx Radio reporting worries me. No research, just taking an estate agents word for it...an estate agent! next to MHKs or journalists lol

http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/housing-market-on-the-up/

Of course he's going to say such things after the official census figures show we are depopulating. That means too many houses for not enough people. Result price will remain soft for some time to come.

Surely this kind of story needs balance?

I do wonder why they seem to operate a 'cut and paste' newsroom!

Not bitter at all are you. whatever.gif

• Like 1

This sort of Manx Radio reporting worries me. No research, just taking an estate agents word for it...an estate agent! next to MHKs or journalists lol

http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/housing-market-on-the-up/

Of course he's going to say such things after the official census figures show we are depopulating. That means too many houses for not enough people. Result price will remain soft for some time to come.

You obviously have low standards, publishing what a vested interest says is hardly journalism. If its true, and I would hope it is then back it up with facts.

You obviously have low standards, publishing what a vested interest says is hardly journalism. If its true, and I would hope it is then back it up with facts.

The news team read out news items, just that.

They are not going to reference every 4king topic or sentence as if they were writing a dissertation.

• Like 1

The news team read out news items, just that.

They are not going to reference every 4king topic or sentence as if they were writing a dissertation.

To be news it must first be proved to be based in fact, that's basic journalism, we don't even get that from a taxpayer funded supposedly national broadcaster.

Qoute from news item,

The company has seen what it calls a 'huge increase in sales' over the last six to nine months, with sellers achieving results close to their asking price.

Mr Groves says he's been talking to a number of his competitors, and other vendors, that say they're seeing the same level of success in the market:

Obviously BGC have seen the increase in their business and say their competitors have too.

If that was incorrect surely one of them would sat so. Where is the mystery ?

Qoute from news item,

The company has seen what it calls a 'huge increase in sales' over the last six to nine months, with sellers achieving results close to their asking price.

Mr Groves says he's been talking to a number of his competitors, and other vendors, that say they're seeing the same level of success in the market:

Obviously BGC have seen the increase in their business and say their competitors have too.

Trying to big up the true stare of affairs?

• Like 1

Qoute from news item,

Trying to big up the true stare of affairs?

So you think they lied to big up the picture, then home owners up their sale price to get a little more?

But surely you are saying there is no increase, so nobody sells any more properties , so no winners. No point.

Qoute from news item,

Simply needed to verify with registry that this was the case with actual sales or by citing one of the competitors. Property prices are a key economic indicator you can't simply report a vested interest as fact without checking first.