Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

3 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

Did Stu really get into radio to do a late night show so he could play Sugababes at half after midnight?

I was hoping for a lot more Stu and a lot less of the musak.

That was a bit of a cheat. My eldest daughter is getting married on Saturday and apparently 'their song' is Push The Button (I daren't ask!). Middle daughter asked me to record a bit of video of something to do with the song, so I was busy mugging for the camera whilst playing that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gettafa said:

It wasn't me making the request/suggestion I promise  but...I have the 99 Red Balloons LP. I have only met one person who ever had that LP.

When I go out on a Saturday Night I often ask people have they got the 99 Red Balloons LP. 

I keep it with my liver and bacon collection.

I don't have it, but I do have Aneka's (Japanese Boy) lp, Aneka. 

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

That was a bit of a cheat. My eldest daughter is getting married on Saturday and apparently 'their song' is Push The Button (I daren't ask!). Middle daughter asked me to record a bit of video of something to do with the song, so I was busy mugging for the camera whilst playing that.

Fair play. Hope you get 'Stu's Crew' going - that's the kind of late night listening that would interest me, light-hearted but opinion driven chat. Then you can have as many Sugababes songs as you like.

Wish you all well for Saturday, and for the show going forwards.

• Like 1

The programme controller Alex Brindley is, quite simply, a man-child. That is just a simple fact - listen to his show,

He has a job to do and he is doing it as he feels fit. He has little or no knowledge or interest in politics. More the theatre and the 'luvvie' based aspects of the Island for him. (You ever hear him doing news, interviews or articles on Mandate for example?).

He has got rid of any talent in this respect. Stu's been happily put out to pasture on the graveyard slot, James Davis went to a company where he would be appreciated. The Manx Radio morning output has gone from being a useful service to being a couple of kiddies larking about. Where's Wootton? Where's Mossie? more like (eta: at Tynwald). At least he could have a bit of a grin and attempt to be serious when required. The new lot don't do serious, presumably on the direction of Boss Brindley.

I can only imagine that the dumbed down changes are at the instigation of the Government's spin-doctoring cabal ("Hi guys xxx"), they know exactly how Manx Radio works and which buttons to press. Mr Brindley's ego button is easily accessible.

Besides, they have ultimate control of the cash.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2019 at 9:40 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

A large retrograde step for MR this change IMO. Bring back Mandate and keep it to more in-depth questions that people want their politicians, individuals or organisations etc. to answer or be accountable for.

MR lost me as a supporter this morning. This dumb down exercise will be loved by those issuing government press releases and those not wanting to answer awkward questions.

I listened for a bit this morning for the first time and that was my thought too. 

How very convenient now that there is no platform now for interviewers to speak to politicians, CEO’s, top civil servants etc and for us to hear their replies. 

Very convenient. In fact, if MR got their money from the government one might almost think it was deliberate...

Wasn’t it only last year that there was talk of government wanting to shut MR down? Sounds horribly like a deal was done. Take the heat off, stop asking us awkward questions, and play some music instead. 

Edited by ecobob
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

One of the few changes that the new management has made is to reinstate the details of who is actually broadcasting to the nation as well as the news team, along with headshots.  Stu can no longer get away with that daguerreotype he had taken on his way off to the Crimean War.  Unfortunately some genius decide that there must be some sort of corporate uniformity[1] and so they must all wear open-necked plain white shirts in the publicity shot.  There are a few minor acts of rebellion (Glover wears a tie!) but otherwise the result is pretty dreadful.  Those who come off least badly are those with long dark hair like Espey, but really no one looks good in white.

Andy Wint's photo, as you may have already noticed because he's on continuously, makes him look like a Messerschmitd head.  But that's just him not the shirt.

Oddly enough the management and admin staff seem to have managed to exempt themselves from the mugshot lineup, even though you would imagine it would be a good idea to put a face to sales people and so on.  Maybe there isn't enough space on the internet to fit them all in.

[1]  I'm blaming Brindley, who clearly thinks he looks the business in his photo.  He doesn't. 

I'm blaming Brindley for all of it

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

One of the few changes that the new management has made is to reinstate the details of who is actually broadcasting to the nation as well as the news team, along with headshots.  Stu can no longer get away with that daguerreotype he had taken on his way off to the Crimean War.  Unfortunately some genius decide that there must be some sort of corporate uniformity[1] and so they must all wear open-necked plain white shirts in the publicity shot.  There are a few minor acts of rebellion (Glover wears a tie!) but otherwise the result is pretty dreadful.  Those who come off least badly are those with long dark hair like Espey, but really no one looks good in white.

Andy Wint's photo, as you may have already noticed because he's on continuously, makes him look like a Messerschmitd head.  But that's just him not the shirt.

Oddly enough the management and admin staff seem to have managed to exempt themselves from the mugshot lineup, even though you would imagine it would be a good idea to put a face to sales people and so on.  Maybe there isn't enough space on the internet to fit them all in.

[1]  I'm blaming Brindley, who clearly thinks he looks the business in his photo.  He doesn't. 

I’ve just taken a look. White shirts on white background. Why? What a awful awful way to represent broadcasters all with their own personalities - dress them all the same and in the same colour. 

I’m a pretty blue sky approach kind of guy and I don’t find much to moan about but that page is so utterly utterly bad that was feel as though this is all a bad dream. 

This can’t all be really happening, can it? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Not sure if you are just taking the piss, but I worked with Stu Peters many years ago and he was a very sincere and genuine guy who worked in jobs below his skill level to keep the bills paid. I admire his work ethic and wish him the best of luck with his new show.

sorry if you are genuine;)

You mean well mate, but you really really do need to stop giving out references. It’s not fair on blokes like Stu. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, ecobob said:

I’ve just taken a look. White shirts on white background. Why? What a awful awful way to represent broadcasters all with their own personalities - dress them all the same and in the same colour. 

I’m a pretty blue sky approach kind of guy and I don’t find much to moan about but that page is so utterly utterly bad that was feel as though this is all a bad dream. 

This can’t all be really happening, can it? 

The photographer during the last Manx Radio makeover (might be the same one) took similar photos and had clearly discovered how to use Photoshop (badly).

All the baldies ended up with a comparatively rather lush barnet. It was like hair had been sprayed. It was quite a laugh.

• Haha 2