Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

The programme controller Alex Brindley is, quite simply, a man-child. That is just a simple fact - listen to his show,

He has a job to do and he is doing it as he feels fit. He has little or no knowledge or interest in politics. More the theatre and the 'luvvie' based aspects of the Island for him. (You ever hear him doing news, interviews or articles on Mandate for example?).

He has got rid of any talent in this respect. Stu's been happily put out to pasture on the graveyard slot, James Davis went to a company where he would be appreciated. The Manx Radio morning output has gone from being a useful service to being a couple of kiddies larking about. Where's Wootton? Where's Mossie? more like (eta: at Tynwald). At least he could have a bit of a grin and attempt to be serious when required. The new lot don't do serious, presumably on the direction of Boss Brindley.

I can only imagine that the dumbed down changes are at the instigation of the Governments spin-doctoring cabal ("Hi guys xxx"), they know exactly how Manx Radio works and which buttons to press. Mr Brindleys ego button is easily accessible.

Besides, they have ultimate control of the cash.

It is the wall-to-wall Brindley broadcasting system, which mainly appears to mean emulating BBC Radio 2

Let us have 'vernacular' local broadcasting

• Like 1

Not so long ago MR were heralding their latest big launch.....Smart Local Focus. As far as I could tell it was Manx Radios rival to Google with the unique selling point that businesses who registered also got mentioned on the radio occasionally.

They now seem to not mention it at all any more after hammering the jingles for a few months. Anyone (Stu?) know whose idea this was, how much was spent on it and what has happened to it now ? Seem to get 'Oops something went wrong' on most pages on it now...…!

• Like 1

I predict that the morning Mandate will be back in some form. It had the most sought after advertising slots in the schedule and on the evidence of a couple of days, the new format won't be. A lot of people tuned out between 0815 and 0830 as Mandate came to a conclusion. What will they do now? Money talks in the end.

• Like 2

I switched on (ie from Radio 4) at 08:30 to hear the news, but the news headlines was at 08:42. 

wtf?

Whoever is in charge of programmimg and this horrendous rescheduling needs to take their head out of their arse (only way I can express it, sorry).

Mandate is Mandate is Mandate.....and was the flagship of Manx Radio for three decades or so. It took listeners form BBC Radio 4 Today and more-or-less followed the same format.

The BBC make some mistakes but Auntie won't mess with The Today Programme.

Can the current morning show get any more dumbed down. Unbelievably the answer is yes. The 'creative' minds at Manx Radio seem to have a free leash to do whatver they want, as long as they move away from serious broadcasting and politically based stories.

Oh, and you can be absolutely sure that the Chief Minister, perhaps indirectly, will have had a whole lot of input into this. He may be daft but he's not stupid. (although some say he may be stupid but he's not daft)

41 minutes ago, woolley said:

I predict that the morning Mandate will be back in some form. It had the most sought after advertising slots in the schedule and on the evidence of a couple of days, the new format won't be. A lot of people tuned out between 0815 and 0830 as Mandate came to a conclusion. What will they do now? Money talks in the end.

I think a lot of folk turned off then either because they were leaving for work, or because they'd arrived. For many it was probably the only MR programme they reliably listened to. And as workers interested in IoM current affairs they were probably the most lucrative demographic on the island for advertising revenue.

• Like 1

50 years I've been listening to Manx Radio, 35 of those actually on purpose. I've done 2 mornings with the new layout, there isn't going to be a third. What utter tripe. I'm certain they won't care, but I won't be listening again. If i was an advertiser paying for morning slots, which by the way seem to of increased I'd be wondering what I was expecting to return. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Burt said:

50 years I've been listening to Manx Radio, 35 of those actually on purpose. I've done 2 mornings with the new layout, there isn't going to be a third. What utter tripe. I'm certain they won't care, but I won't be listening again. If i was an advertiser paying for morning slots, which by the way seem to of increased I'd be wondering what I was expecting to return. 

They will care if a high proportion of the audience feels the same way. When planning the changes, perhaps the new and younger management wondered why the old guard had kept the awkward and messy frequency split for so many years. They might find out now.

• Like 4

Now here's a thing... why does the majority of content going out on FM get aired on AM at the same time as well?

Is there any reason why, for example, the 21:00 and interest (non music) slots aired most evenings are not aired during the day on AM??  Or some of the Podcasts during the day when the FM frequency is banging out mostly music. Not everyone has access to the internet, especially the older generation who are more likely to be interested in 'grown up' stuff.

Personally, I think there's pretty good 'interest' stuff on the Podcast section that could be repeated on air. Additionally, if MR are going to do justice to the Manx Gaelic offering then I'd certainly have no objection to it being aired on AM.

Unless there's a good technical reason why AM airing can't be aired with previously recorded programming alongside FM then I really do think we're being short changed. They're really not fulfilling their public service remit as it stands.

As Donald said earlier... the vernacular looks set to be the norm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

I switched on (ie from Radio 4) at 08:30 to hear the news, but the news headlines was at 08:42. 

wtf?

Whoever is in charge of programmimg and this horrendous rescheduling needs to take their head out of their arse (only way I can express it, sorry).

the head of editorial compliance at the bbc used to fist gordon the gopher live on tv......

I notice that the overnight repeats of daytime programmes appear to have gone and it has reverted to continuous music. When did that happen? Was nobody listening to the speech repeats? Or was the whole idea introduced because of some dispute over the provision of syndicated overnight music?