Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

6 hours ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio: BBC to recruit Island-based political reporter

Why does the Island need yet another?

Because Manx Radio abdicated their responsibilities to the public for providing any decent or reasonably expected depth of news coverage to the island this week?

These changes to MR news programming are a serious attack on democracy via failing to address the accountability of politicians, individuals and organisations on the Isle of Man.

Whether such an attack is down to incompetent management within or from external influence...the result is the same. My major fear is it is a combination of both.

Their taxpayer funded subvention should be immediately put on hold.

Any decent-minded politician should be addressing this matter as urgent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio: BBC to recruit Island-based political reporter

Why does the Island need yet another?

Is this just throwing a (non) job at the Isle of Man to justify the £5 million licence fee take?

(answer = yes)

The licence fee is justified by the bbc tv, all the radio stations that people are now turning to now they hate Manx Radio, the website, the iplayer. 

There is a complaint that there is an under coverage of local affairs and this is an effort to address that. Seems reasonable. 

I gave MR another chance this morning. I lasted the few minutes it took before the first piece of hellish music was played. I think I’m done now. Such a shame. I have such a lot of respect for both presenters and they’re doing their best but the programming is not something I’m ever going to get used to - or want to get used to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Spot on there Albert

2 hours ago, Declan said:

The licence fee is justified by the bbc tv, all the radio stations that people are now turning to now they hate Manx Radio, the website, the iplayer. 

There is a complaint that there is an under coverage of local affairs and this is an effort to address that. Seems reasonable. 

I see exactly where you are coming from of course.

Maybe the subvention should go to the BBC, because at the moment I don't feel a penny should go from Government to Manx Radio.

Let the boy Brindley and Co. stand on their own two feet and let them lark about in the real world.

Childish dumbing down would then land with an almighty bump.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ecobob said:

I gave MR another chance this morning. I lasted the few minutes it took before the first piece of hellish music was played. I think I’m done now. Such a shame. I have such a lot of respect for both presenters and they’re doing their best but the programming is not something I’m ever going to get used to - or want to get used to. 

Had you endured you may well have gone incandescent.

A quick mention of Tynwald then straight in with Gabrielle, who was then sandwiched with a quick obligatory mention of Brexit.

But have no fear Johnnie Moss is here. Being paid to sit in Tynwald, the first sitting since who knows when.

He told us all about the leak in the building and the likelihood it was caused by a dead pigeon, which he managed to tell us was lying feet up (a la Monty Python?) and something about some birds of prey across the road at St Mary's.

OK, I can handle a light hearted intro...but Johnnie was in full swing. The Tynwald Members were apparently in shirt sleeve order due to the need for heaters to dry the chamber out (I hope they are using dehumidifiers too, otherwise they will just be spreading the dampness to other places) and wasn't it a hoot that President of Tynwald couldn't go shirt sleeves due to his wig and big gown.

And that.

There is only so much of this one can take. I feel I did well to last that long.

BBC Radio 4 for me, with a quick switch back over for the news, but I'm losing interest in that. Maybe that is the overall intent. Maybe after all I will go back to Manx Radio and wake up skipping through the tulips hand in hand with Ben and Alex.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

On 10/14/2019 at 8:41 PM, victorian dad said:

Bring back "The Castlereagh Line" & the fat Policeman reporting on the theft of milk bottles in the early hours of the morning.

I know that Suzy has gone, but I wish they would bring "Swap-Shop" back. I still have a packet of soap powder that I want to swap for a colour TV.

And what about Sydney Magee's Flower Arranging programme. That was great for radio.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, gettafa said:

BBC Radio 4 for me, with a quick switch back over for the news, but I'm losing interest in that. Maybe that is the overall intent. Maybe after all I will go back to Manx Radio and wake up skipping through the tulips hand in hand with Ben and Alex.

Of course there is much quality on R4. Sometimes it can grate. I commented on here recently that on a morning out in the car I switched on to R4 three times over three hours. In each instance the word racist or racism was mentioned within a minute and off it went again. I don't like to have my nose led to a particular grindstone by handwringing liberals and, I would suggest, neither do the majority of others, including those of the various ethnic minorities. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

BBC Radio 4 has gone even more gay this past few years, but I'm not sure if it is against the law to point that out. It probably is these days. Left and liberal is very much to the fore.

BBC Radio 4 versus Manx Radio = Didactism versus Dumbing Down.

• Like 1

Just now, Tempus Fugit said:

don't they have any live weather forecaster any more ? it's just a gabbled script now

She was on after the 7am summary. And yes...sounded gabbled.

It sounds like between 7.30am and 9.30am MR has been outsourced to Ballakermeen's year 1 Media Studies class.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, gettafa said:

BBC Radio 4 has gone even more gay this past few years, but I'm not sure if it is against the law to point that out. It probably is these days. Left and liberal is very much to the fore.

If you mean that the station has become more focused on gay issues then you are perfectly entitled to point it out. If of course you are using the word "gay" in a derogatory sense then you perhaps need to rethink your personal values.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Had you endured you may well have gone incandescent.

A quick mention of Tynwald then straight in with Gabrielle, who was then sandwiched with a quick obligatory mention of Brexit.

But have no fear Johnnie Moss is here. Being paid to sit in Tynwald, the first sitting since who knows when.

He told us all about the leak in the building and the likelihood it was caused by a dead pigeon, which he managed to tell us was lying feet up (a la Monty Python?) and something about some birds of prey across the road at St Mary's.

OK, I can handle a light hearted intro...but Johnnie was in full swing. The Tynwald Members were apparently in shirt sleeve order due to the need for heaters to dry the chamber out (I hope they are using dehumidifiers too, otherwise they will just be spreading the dampness to other places) and wasn't it a hoot that President of Tynwald couldn't go shirt sleeves due to his wig and big gown.

And that.

There is only so much of this one can take. I feel I did well to last that long.

The only bit of useful info in Johnny's diatribe was the fact that there are peregrine falcons in St Mary's, somewhere.  Almost everything else was tripe. Trying too hard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Because Manx Radio abdicated their responsibilities to the public for providing any decent or reasonably expected depth of news coverage to the island this week?

These changes to MR news programming are a serious attack on democracy via failing to address the accountability of politicians, individuals and organisations on the Isle of Man.

Whether such an attack is down to incompetent management within or from external influence...the result is the same. My major fear is it is a combination of both.

I wholeheartedly agree Albert

Hope my support isn't damaging to your self esteem

• Like 2