Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, KERED said:

I know that Suzy has gone, but I wish they would bring "Swap-Shop" back. I still have a packet of soap powder that I want to swap for a colour TV.

And what about Sydney Magee's Flower Arranging programme. That was great for radio.

Mr Callister outed himself as a Manx Radio 'Jollybody' this morning

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

If you mean that the station has become more focused on gay issues then you are perfectly entitled to point it out. If of course you are using the word "gay" in a derogatory sense then you perhaps need to rethink your personal values.

Professional offence taker. 

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's easy when you know how/who, Derek.

The place becomes more baffling by the day.

for over a decade or more, we told the police to manage with less. But a radio station just has to ask and it is granted.

and meanwhile, we have a lower capital scheme for the new Ramsey bus station and a call that money still has to be saved.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

What we need is anarchy. Fucking cracks me up all the moaning on here, iomtoady etc. Government this, Leg Co that... Armchair moaners. Get out and make a point Quayle and co can't ignore.

Don't forget- THEY WORK FOR US! Yet they 'rule' with breath-taking arrogance as well naive incompetence. The events at Laxey, and the arse-covering that follows tells you all you need to know what 'We' re All In It Together' means to Quayle and Co.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

for over a decade or more, we told the police to manage with less. But a radio station just has to ask and it is granted.

and meanwhile, we have a lower capital scheme for the new Ramsey bus station and a call that money still has to be saved.

It stinks Derek and the worst part about it is that they can't smell it, not even the coffee.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

But the radio station had also be asking for more for quite a long time and instead had been expected to get by with no extra subvention at all.  The Isle of Man must be the only place around where you get rewarded for providing less public service broadcasting.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the radio station had also be asking for more for quite a long time and instead had been expected to get by with no extra subvention at all.  The Isle of Man must be the only place around where you get rewarded for providing less public service broadcasting.

I'm not sure that's entirely true, Roger. 

MR's overall offering now is far superior than say 10 years ago; podcasts, YouTube etc. And the subvention was increased to cover those types of 'new' technologies, wasn't it? The next lot of dosh they'll be looking for will be for DAB. And that probably won't be cheap.

Personally, I think they're not airing sufficient content with the assets they already have. I refer to my post above. on the AM issue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true, Roger. 

MR's overall offering now is far superior than say 10 years ago; podcasts, YouTube etc. And the subvention was increased to cover those types of 'new' technologies, wasn't it? The next lot of dosh they'll be looking for will be for DAB. And that probably won't be cheap.

Personally, I think they're not airing sufficient content with the assets they already have. I refer to my post above. on the AM issue.

But most of those 'new' technologies are things they should have been doing literally decades ago and in some cases have been doing for years (like the YouTube channel).  They've been poor at promoting them and making access easy, but they're not a great extra cost in any case.  As you say, they make inefficient use of what they do have.

There are good arguments for increasing the subvention, but those arguments have been unchanged for years.  So to increase it now when they appear to cutting back on their core PSB obligation looks like rewarding a reduction in scrutiny.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Manx Radio has been getting stuck into political scrutiny and debate for the past few years. It makes the government uncomfortable, clearly.

Manx Radio have been paid off to dumb down. I suppose the likes of Andy Wint would argue otherwise, but he is just an opinionated boar/boor/bore an knows who is paying his keep. Mossie is possibly capable enough but if he is told to make it light-hearted he will jump at the chance.

The rest appear to be in the bracket of Brindley's Babes

I certainly wouldn't want to advertise on Manx Radio, but I suppose if Manx Radio advertising revenue goes down (it will) then all they do is ask for even more money off government.

• Like 1

sadly yet another casualty of the new schedule,  I used to listen to  the 6pm slot after the news roundup but sadly, no more as that has gone to pot,

and please get rid of all the blasted music bumping away behind all the speaking, it may be hip and trendy but it's getting like an Americal football match  and such a turn-off,  it's  rapidly descending into  an ever decreasing spiral  of mediocrity and could be just any jukebox station up and down the scale.

(if anyone at MR ever reads feedback from former listeners) 

Just imagine the uproar if a new boss at the BBC axed 'The Archers' :angry:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But most of those 'new' technologies are things they should have been doing literally decades ago and in some cases have been doing for years (like the YouTube channel).  They've been poor at promoting them and making access easy, but they're not a great extra cost in any case.  As you say, they make inefficient use of what they do have.

There are good arguments for increasing the subvention, but those arguments have been unchanged for years.  So to increase it now when they appear to cutting back on their core PSB obligation looks like rewarding a reduction in scrutiny.

I'm not sure how the extra subvention got thru - maybe some members thought they were just voting to receive the report

A lot of the new tech isn't expensive - that's the joy of it. You wonder why a lot of the newsroom output can't just be put on a digital feed of some sort. I'm sure there's a lot of work undertaken that just never sees the light of day