Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not quite.  She took some years off in the 50s to bring up her children and someone else played the role.   So at the age of 100 she's 'only' been in the Archers for 60 years.  There's actually two other current actors who have been longer in the Archers continuously for longer (62 and 66 years).

Bloody hell squared.

I saw that but I thought it churlish not to allow for maternity leave even in the 1950s. You might want to check but perhaps you are selling her short with the 60 years. I read that she came back earlier than 1962 but played another part because a replacement actress was by then cast as Peggy Woolley. When that woman left the show, Spencer resumed the role.

• Haha 1

I was more a Waggoner's Walk person. After a day at school it made a nice transition into home life.

Anyway, about this Manx Radio thingy. I have noticed the sound levels are louder for the music than they are for the inane chatter (it is more than merely 'speech'). For the first few records I turned it down then back up after the music had finished in the hope I was going to hear something worth listening to from the Manx Radio presenters.

Then I realised it was easier just to use one click to change to BBC Radio 4 and be done with it.

And I have realised that the thing about BBC Radio 2 is that the presenters talk total and utter self-centred bollocks, but at least they are making no pretence about it. 

16 minutes ago, woolley said:

I saw that but I thought it churlish not to allow for maternity leave even in the 1950s. You might want to check but perhaps you are selling her short with the 60 years. I read that she came back earlier than 1962 but played another part because a replacement actress was by then cast as Peggy Woolley. When that woman left the show, Spencer resumed the role.

I got my information from her Wiki article in the first link.  Though it is a bit uncertain about exact dates she was away from the series for 7-9 years and then came back as a secondary character she had played before (a lot of radio soap actors took more than one part) before taking the Peggy role over. 

I must say I was not really aware of how long she had been in the Archers until I heard a Private Passions she did in June near her 100th Birthday.  Then when I looked up just how long she had been in the series it turned out there were two other who had been there even longer in total (see my second link), though I don't think they were quite as major parts.  In fact once you become an Archers actor you never seem to leave - there are 31 listed in that second link who have been or were there there more than 30 years.

16 hours ago, Kopek said:

Sorry Andy, I'd rather you die that I have to listen to the Archers!!! Usually get to the off button before the second bar of the music!

Manx Radio, encrypt it, make it subscription based, see how long it survives.

It doesn't? Well, that shows the support it has?

I'm certainly making an effort to see if I can survive without it

[Manx Radio that is]

Edited by Donald Trumps

21 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I'm certainly making an effort to see if I can survive without it

[Manx Radio that is]

Other stations are available. 

3fm must see an opening here, if only for picking up dismayed Manx Radio advertisers.

There has never been a stringer argument for considering the sharing out of the subvention to include 3fm. 

Go the full hog and rather than Dandara flats turn 'broadcasting house' into a kiddies theme park. It's halfway there.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

There can't be too many people still doing a job they started in 1949. Some old farming folk come to mind who seem to go on for ever. And I recall there was one old Wall St guy in the financial crisis who remembered being there as a youngster in the Crash. 

Young Mr. Grace?

• Haha 2