Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Gave it a few days but my thoughts on the new scheduling are Chris Williams okay,  the new look 7:30 to 9.30 total rubbish which is a shame because the Wotton girl seems a good presenter for current affairs,  won’t be tuning in again.

Never listened to any morning shows always defected to Jason at 3fm sometimes Energy till mannin line, Wint does a reasonable job. Switch of after that late lunch is dire listening  (really need 3 presenters on one show think not) always try to get news at 5 then off.

Have to admit Stu’s late spot is surprisingly good listening and he’ll probably grow his audience over time so good luck to him.

Manx radio daytime looks to me like a cosy club for a few mates.  Re listening figures, over the years be it in a shop, warehouse, building site etc I never hear manx it’s always. 3fm energy or radio 1 or 2 . Some will like it some won’t but we pay a lot of money for a mediocre service.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Making an attempt to listen to the new MR, quite good so far, interesting interviews and will continue to report back if any change! 

Heard some minutes of Chris Williams - meh, not my thing. Caught some of the lunchtime prog. with Andy Wint (?) - not at all bad, he was engaging with someone about education.

Tend to be more glued to Radio 3 these days...

Edited by GD4ELI
Can't spell proper

There was an informative programme with interviews from Alan Shea and several others with regard to the police persecution of homosexuals around 1992 the other night. It was quite shocking listening and well beyond what MR would have normally put out. Before 9pm too and 'ass bandit' amongst other expletives was used! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Tend to be more glued to Radio 3 these days...

I don't think I could spend very long glued to that. Small doses for specific things, but for any longer commitment it's just too far up itself. Sounds like it is trying to appeal to an extremely narrow cohort. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

I don't think I could spend very long glued to that. Small doses for specific things, but for any longer commitment it's just too far up itself. Sounds like it is trying to appeal to an extremely narrow cohort. 

Used to be, but it's now following the France Musique direction. The early morning programs are getting much, much better. It'll take a time but when it does match France Musique it'll be in a much better place.

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Caught some of the lunchtime prog  with Andy Wint (?) - not at all bad, he was engaging with someone about education.

Once he engages anyone, whether it be a person or the whole audience, he simply talks at them. There;s only so much I can handle of that.

49 minutes ago, woolley said:

The R3 music with words thing is quite good - they played David Bowie a couple of weeks back

On 10/11/2019 at 8:57 AM, WKRP said:

Interesting to see the Manx Radio story on next weeks Tynwald questions.

https://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/peel-marina-to-chronic-fatigue-tynwald-questions-at-a-glance/

a fair amount of detail...yet they fail to mention question 12

The Hon. Member for Douglas East (Mrs Barber) to ask the Minister for Policy and Reform –
How many Freedom of Information requests have been made to Manx Radio; how many have been answered (a) partially (b) fully and (c) rejected; and where they are published?

Well we had the answer on Tuesday:

The Minister for Policy and Reform (Mr Thomas):  [...] Since 2017 Manx Radio advise that they have received 13 Freedom of Information requests, of which five requests were fully answered. One request was declined: as it was for Manx Radio’s output, journalistic and creative activities, it fell outside the scope of information held for the purposes of the Freedom of Information Act.

Four requests were partially answered; three requests were provided with advice and assistance and were redirected to other Government Departments. I hope that is helpful to the hon. questioner. 

Mrs Barber: Thank you. I wonder, just the second part of the question was where they are published, those responses? 

The Minister: Manx Radio advises that they generally do not publish their responses to FOI requests. If I did not read that out from my original Answer, I apologise.

So apparently the national broadcaster feels it has no obligation to broadcast the answers to its FoI requests - unlike every other public body which puts them up on the website.  Apart from anything else this is rather silly because it means they will get asked the same questions again and again.