Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

The registry are about nine months behind at least.

That's not true unless you can cite a member if registry.
It is true. Which is why you see the delay in the property published registry entries in the paper or iomonline.

Nonsense

The registry are about nine months behind at least.

That's not true unless you can cite a member if registry.

Under oath too I assume ?thumbsup.gif

No, government official reports official figures id based on something, if they lie then the next time is under oath.

This sort of Manx Radio reporting worries me. No research, just taking an estate agents word for it...an estate agent! next to MHKs or journalists lol

http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/housing-market-on-the-up/

Of course he's going to say such things after the official census figures show we are depopulating. That means too many houses for not enough people. Result price will remain soft for some time to come.

Surely this kind of story needs balance?

I do wonder why they seem to operate a 'cut and paste' newsroom!

Not bitter at all are you. whatever.gif

You obviously have low standards, publishing what a vested interest says is hardly journalism. If its true, and I would hope it is then back it up with facts.

The news team read out news items, just that.

They are not going to reference every 4king topic or sentence as if they were writing a dissertation.

To be news it must first be proved to be based in fact, that's basic journalism, we don't even get that from a taxpayer funded supposedly national broadcaster.

Wow, J2 having yet ANOTHER pop at Manx Radio! And as usual is completely, utterly wrong.

The news story is that a leading estate agent says the market is on the up. The story doesn't say that it's a fact or not, just reports that he said it. Story was posted Saturday afternoon, so good luck with getting a registry or gubmint response even if sought (and no reason it would be). The first two pars of the story set a context and allow a reasonable person to muse at the likelihood of it being true. Ahhhh - I see where I went wrong: J2 isn't a reasonable person!

Wow, J2 having yet ANOTHER pop at Manx Radio! And as usual is completely, utterly wrong.

The news story is that a leading estate agent says the market is on the up. The story doesn't say that it's a fact or not, just reports that he said it.

If he'd have said that he had sex with animals and the world was going to end at 7:00pm next Friday would you have just reported that as well? J2bad makes a valid point that a lot of what is reported as "news" by MR isn't really news at all it's unsubstantiated positive PR for IOM Plc. I know we are in a post facts world but MR have been doing it for about 30 years.

• Like 1

I think to be fair the estate agents have been quite open in how much quieter things have been the last few years.

They don't have a reason to lie about sales. They can't stick "under offer" or "sold subject to contract" if that isn't the case. As we've been looking for a house for quite a while we've been on all the sites a lot and it is clear activity and positive results have picked it. That is clear as day.

The news story is that a leading estate agent says the market is on the up. The story doesn't say that it's a fact or not, just reports that he said it.

If he'd have said that he had sex with animals and the world was going to end at 7:00pm next Friday would you have just reported that as well? J2bad makes a valid point that a lot of what is reported as "news" by MR isn't really news at all it's unsubstantiated positive PR for IOM Plc. I know we are in a post facts world but MR have been doing it for about 30 years.

Proof positive. What Manx Radio does today the rest of the world does, er, in 30 years time.

They are not going to reference every 4king topic or sentence as if they were writing a dissertation.

It shows the low expectations there are on the Island of those in public service, that the idea of journalists actually doing their job is seen as an affront. Because the job of journalists isn't just reading out whatever they are given (that may be done by other broadcasters anyway). It is preparing and writing the news items.

And that shouldn't just mean adjusting a press release to make it sound less like a press release. Facts should be checked, especially if they look odd and context should be supplied. Further opinions may be sought. This is what journalism is - otherwise they might as well get Stu to read out the latest government press releases and leave it at that.

To be fair Manx Radio has for some time been cutting back on journalism so as to maintain and expand their already bloated management structure[1] (the Myers Report suggested reversing this, but to no effect). And there do actually seem to be more people employed by the Government to manage the news than there are people in the media for them to manipulate[2], so it can become the easy path to just repeat what you are told. That's without the possibility of management pressure from those keen to keep in well with their paymasters.

As it happens there isn't really much to complain of in the way this particular 'news' item was handled - it was clearly labelled as the opinion of someone with an interest in bigging up house price sales. More diligent journalists might have got other opinions or did some research to provide context, but you read a lot of stuff in the UK media treated just as uncritically. Whether it was important enough to publish is another matter, but sometimes slow news days are slow.

[1] One interesting development in the last few years is the removal of nearly all information regarding staff and how to contact them. Once every employee had a little bio, contact details and so on - something you would think obvious in a community radio station and pretty essential for news (and ad sales) staff, who really need people to contact them. Now such information is very scanty, just listing the directors. The presenters do get the bio treatment, but of course most of them are freelancers. Presumably listing all the employees would emphasise the 'all chiefs and no indians' situation - other government institutions have become similarly secretive.

[2] Just as damaging, all these press officers are often those who have worked previously, if less lucratively in the media. So there will be all sorts of personal connections that can bias reporting. And even worse, the movement from media into government service becomes an obvious career path, meaning that journalists may be unwilling to jeopardise their relationship with a future employers. This isn't unique to the Isle of Man (though it's rarely pointed out elsewhere) but the small size of the Island makes it an acute problem.

(Edited for typos)

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 4

I just don't see how declining population (census) and slashed asking prices (look at the ads) square with this announcement.

Could be a dead cat bounce though. On the other hand, I know people of my generation who are moving back to the island for retirement, some certainly taking advantage of the weak property market.

This sort of Manx Radio reporting worries me. No research, just taking an estate agents word for it...an estate agent! next to MHKs or journalists lol

http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/housing-market-on-the-up/

Of course he's going to say such things after the official census figures show we are depopulating. That means too many houses for not enough people. Result price will remain soft for some time to come.

Surely this kind of story needs balance?

I do wonder why they seem to operate a 'cut and paste' newsroom!

Not bitter at all are you. whatever.gif

You obviously have low standards, publishing what a vested interest says is hardly journalism. If its true, and I would hope it is then back it up with facts.

To be news it must first be proved to be based in fact, that's basic journalism, we don't even get that from a taxpayer funded supposedly national broadcaster.

The news story is that a leading estate agent says the market is on the up. The story doesn't say that it's a fact or not, just reports that he said it. Story was posted Saturday afternoon, so good luck with getting a registry or gubmint response even if sought (and no reason it would be). The first two pars of the story set a context and allow a reasonable person to muse at the likelihood of it being true. Ahhhh - I see where I went wrong: J2 isn't a reasonable person!

what's all this having a pop crap, I pay part of your wages I would rather I didn't though as I do I expect you to do a half arsed job at the very least.