Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

6 hours ago, Max Power said:

There was an informative programme with interviews from Alan Shea and several others with regard to the police persecution of homosexuals around 1992 the other night. It was quite shocking listening and well beyond what MR would have normally put out. Before 9pm too and 'ass bandit' amongst other expletives was used! 

Alan Shea and others could easily just go and record this on YouTube and share the link on social media and gain more listeners/viewers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You are right to applaud the station for that. I heard Andy Wint advertise that two part program.

This would not be .possible earlier I don’t think, so that must be a plus.

I will be the first to admit that I was so called “homophobic” for many years, but having discovered that many people I know are “gay”, I have had to seriously rethink my views. Although I cannot begin to understand how genes work or how we are orientated from birth, I have to admit that we are all equal, with equal rights and entitled to be treated the same. Looking back to those days in the late 80s early 90s is shameful, that society treated men that way.

Manx Radio is, in my view quite brave to air those programs considering the way lots of people still think. Well done MR.

I also remember Edga  Quines comments on TV. WHAT ?

Brave, my arse. Every known radio station this side of Neptune provide considered thought provoking programmes. 

Brave? would have been 30 years ago telling Edgar Quine to fuck off. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Alan Shea and others could easily just go and record this on YouTube and share the link on social media and gain more listeners/viewers.

But this island is where their problem started. Only right that their views are aired here instead of streamed to the brainless globally

Just now, dilligaf said:

But this island is where their problem started. Only right that their views are aired here instead of streamed to the brainless globally

I disagree. It's long since time this island was put under an outside spotlight. All the island's main artists, writers, musicians, intellectuals, scientists, engineers, and people of note in general, found their place on the world stage only by doing so OUTSIDE the Isle of Man. Had they focused their efforts within the tiny little bubble of the Isle of Man then none of them would have accomplished what they did.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Stupid post. But not unexpected tbh. You don’t help yourself, do you ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Brave, my arse. Every known radio station this side of Neptune provide considered thought provoking programmes. 

Brave? would have been 30 years ago telling Edgar Quine to fuck off. 

Yes, they should have binned EQ for his embarrassing words 30 years ago, but that was not the way things were done then.

I am glad that MR produced this program for balance, even though it is a bit late in the day.

1 minute ago, Rushen Spy said:

I disagree. It's long since time this island was put under an outside spotlight. All the island's main artists, writers, musicians, intellectuals, scientists, engineers, and people of note in general, found their place on the world stage only by doing so OUTSIDE the Isle of Man. Had they focused their efforts within the tiny little bubble of the Isle of Man then none of them would have accomplished what they did.

Exactly.  

New MR MD on MTTV 

Good on him for doing the interview. Confirms what I suggested earlier in respect of the new schedule, obviously going after an audience of which I am not part - so nice to be excluded -  more to the point though he honestly accepts that MR are in competition with the other stations for advertising revenue, which seems to mean that we no longer have three radio stations trying to address separate segments of the audience in the IoM, because MR appears to be seeking to broaden its appeal into the demographic niches dominated by the other stations. 

Really not sure how that can work, a state subsidised station seeming to be in direct competition with the private sector for audience segments to bolster its advertising proposition. Not Mr Sully's fault, he's just here to make MR as successful as it can be within the rules set by Tynwald, but Tynwald need to get a grip. Either each station has its own target franchise / audience segment, or the market becomes a free for all with one having the advantage of state subsidy - ostensibly to do the PSB bit but nevertheless giving it a resilience and critical mass which the others cannot duplicate. Increasingly looking like the only rational solution is to take MR out of the commercial sector and fund it solely as a PSB.