Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

8 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

When will you lot face facts, it is not that they need to update themselves for a different demographic, there is no real demographic that listens to radio anymore outside of the 10 minutes drive to work apart from crippled old farts, we should not be funding a penny, we all know it's a mugs game advertising on radio, when you can get thousands of views with a video on facebook. Times have changed, Tv killed the mass appeal of Radio, video killed the mass appeal of cinema, the internet and facebook has killed them both, if you live in the UK you have to drive motorways for hours on end to get to work radio still has a future, here not so. Yet like all old outdated shit the iom gov just can't stop throwing taxpayers money at it.

90% of people in the UK listen to radio every week. 

1 minute ago, Declan said:

90% of people in the UK listen to radio every week. 

I don't doubt that Declan as most in the UK have lengthy commutes, but even then RAJAR figures don't take into account proportion of the day they listen, tune in for the morning news for one minute and you are a listener. 

My point is really if Radio is still a successful format as you and your mate Stu state then it can pay for itself.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pongo said:

Imagine having to work in one of those sad places where people are forced to put up with that.

Got to be better than the "musak" you get in "Department" stores.

I'm working up a hate for MAN Term 3 and the fucking awful racket you get from all the tv screens in the bar area. If you want to eat at a table any conversation is nigh on impossible. Working away a lot I got inured to the air travel ethos of "Hurry up and wait somewhere else..." but add the noise pollution and it's really shit.

1 minute ago, CharlieBrown said:

My point is really if Radio is still a successful format as you and your mate Stu state then it can pay for itself.

I would far rather it was funded by the public purse to maintain a decent quality and do away with the crappy adverts.

52 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

I don't doubt that Declan as most in the UK have lengthy commutes, but even then RAJAR figures don't take into account proportion of the day they listen, tune in for the morning news for one minute and you are a listener. 

Stu's not my mate. 

https://www.radiocentre.org/9-out-of-10-people-listening-to-the-radio-each-week/

"The latest figures confirm that overall radio listening remains strong with nine out of ten people (89.2% of the population) tuning in each week for an average of 20.8 hours."

Also commuters have had alternatives to radio since the invention of the cassette.

Your suggestion that television killed radio is ridiculous. 

--

I'm not too bothered by the changes to MR it's never really cut the mustard for me. I've always felt that most of it's programming is aim at someone older than me. I guess now I'm ancient I should be firmly in their target market - interested in local politics, Manx culture, involved a bit in local arts - but it has always felt like it was run for a clique of people like Howard Cain who seem totally unlike and disinterested in the people I know. 

Edited by Declan

1 hour ago, CharlieBrown said:

Where is your source for this information? And as for workplaces since PRS got more active lots have stopped.

Me, I’m the source. Just from my experience of car dealerships who actually pay the PRS fees. I know some tight arses who don’t but I’ll bet there’s a car radio blaring away being ‘tested’ anyway!

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Got to be better than the "musak" you get in "Department" stores.

I'm working up a hate for MAN Term 3 and the fucking awful racket you get from all the tv screens in the bar area. If you want to eat at a table any conversation is nigh on impossible. Working away a lot I got inured to the air travel ethos of "Hurry up and wait somewhere else..." but add the noise pollution and it's really shit.

MAN T3 is torture in itself not just the racket from TV screens. It really is an awful place and fat too small.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

No it doesn't. No it hasn't, ever, to my knowledge of the last 20 years there. If it's a story it gets reported with NO favouritism shown to clients. Sales team and news team have completely discrete responsibilities.

Thing is Stu, if you're not part of the inner clique with tentacles into the establishmnet and your not the sort of guy who can be a little got at, you ain't gonna be got at, in any form.

Hence maybe that is one reason why you were shifted from what was becoming a very popular daytime Mandate.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Declan said:

Stu's not my mate. 

https://www.radiocentre.org/9-out-of-10-people-listening-to-the-radio-each-week/

"The latest figures confirm that overall radio listening remains strong with nine out of ten people (89.2% of the population) tuning in each week for an average of 20.8 hours."

Also commuters have had alternatives to radio since the invention of the cassette.

Your suggestion that television killed radio is ridiculous. 

--

I'm not too bothered by the changes to MR it's never really cut the mustard for me. I've always felt that most of it's programming is aim at someone older than me. I guess now I'm ancient I should be firmly in their target market - interested in local politics, Manx culture, involved a bit in local arts - but it has always felt like it was run for a clique of people like Howard Cain who seem totally unlike and disinterested in the people I know. 

If you broke that 20.8 hours down into age demographics then the amount of time might not be as grand as it might sound (pun intended). To me at least.

To put that in perspective it's just shy of 3 hours a day across the whole demographic.

If you're in a car or using other forms of public transport to/from work doing an hour round trip, leaves slightly less than a further 2 hours listening time during the day. And that time, I suspect is used for listing to news and traffic before you get on the road/bus or whatever.

For the non-working population I would expect many more hours.