Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

RAJAR is hardly a reliable source, they pay you a fiver to keep a diary, and of course what happens is people just don't do that they just tick a load of boxes so they don't feel bad for taking the £5.

Correct, it's not.  But it is at least, the same methodology that, in the absence of anything more accurate, is the accepted measurement of radio audiences by the BBC, Commercial Radio and advertising agencies selling airtime on the basis of their audience numbers.  

I agree, the yardstick is crap.  But at least everyone is measured by the same one.  

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, overCome said:

Correct, it's not.  But it is at least, the same methodology that, in the absence of anything more accurate, is the accepted measurement of radio audiences by the BBC, Commercial Radio and advertising agencies selling airtime on the basis of their audience numbers.  

I agree, the yardstick is crap.  But at least everyone is measured by the same one.  

A bit like the TT figures really ;)

14 hours ago, hissingsid said:

No it is not it is great 60s music and brings back great memories for loads of people .

I have long held the view that it is simply the 60's music that people tune in for.
(Shirley it can't be the same old adverts - "Isle of Contrast, Isle of Beauty", "The Saturday night suit from John Collier for 10-19-6, YES 10-19-6",
or those smutty schoolboy humour clips:
I like to suck on a Fisherman's Friend", My Bert likes his oats in the morning", "Men running around with big choppers",
"My pussy needs feeding", "I like Ginger Nuts" etc.)

There has been a tradition of playing 60's music on Saturday mornings on several stations, including Radio 2, with "Sounds of the 60's". 
Originally with Keith Fordyce, then Simon Dee, and Brian Matthew (27 years), and latterly Tony Blackburn.

Also - I seem to recall that Stu Lowe had a Saturday Morning Oldies show on MR, sponsored by B&B Furniture.

I don't think many announcers could fail with a Saturday 60's Show.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Isle of Man media is full of such people.

It absolutely is. Journalistic standards are on a par with the quality of English demonstrated by an uninspiring ten year old.

56 minutes ago, woolley said:

It does make you wonder who told some of these people that they are suited to writing for a living.

One suspects it was someone taking the piss.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:57 PM, overCome said:

The fact is you can't measure radio consumption, and so an industry owned non independent body has been making it up for years by visiting houses during the day when only old mental people are home and then bribing the gullible old twats with enough money for dilligaf and his like to pop down the spar and get an instant hit of booze.  Only radio is measured by this yard of booze everyone else uses real data.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

The fact is you can't measure radio consumption, and so an industry owned non independent body has been making it up for years by visiting houses during the day when only old mental people are home and then bribing the gullible old twats with enough money for dilligaf and his like to pop down the spar and get an instant hit of booze.  Only radio is measured by this yard of booze everyone else uses real data.

Perhaps you are called Juan and I can claim my £5. Only a poor craftsman blames the tools.

I wonder if that's the reason Energy FM stopped subscribing to RAJAR, although I also wonder if it was after a particularly poor ratings quarter for them?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, woolley said:

It does make you wonder who told some of these people that they are suited to writing for a living.

It also makes me wonder how such frequent faux pas get past the News Editor. (Does anyone actually know what exactly IS the job of the News EDITOR, and what he does all day? Likewise the SPORTS Editor?)

• Like 1