Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

It would help the cause if some proper, factual figures were included rather than one mans adjudication.

It isn't one mans opinion though is it? He said he had spoken to a number of competitors who report similar increases in activity and thereby sales.

Nothing difficult about this. Browse the websites. It's clear they are busier.

Sigh

Doesn't the whole thing come down to the wording in the news story. ?

This is the first paragraph,

Census results might show a decline in the Island's population, but the housing market is seeing a surge in demand - according to one property expert.

edit to add that I was highlighting the ACCORDING bit and, yes, it was confirmed by several others.

​ Manx Radio are not the Gov. press office.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

This sort of Manx Radio reporting worries me. No research, just taking an estate agents word for it...an estate agent! next to MHKs or journalists lol

http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/housing-market-on-the-up/

Of course he's going to say such things after the official census figures show we are depopulating. That means too many houses for not enough people. Result price will remain soft for some time to come.

Surely this kind of story needs balance?

I do wonder why they seem to operate a 'cut and paste' newsroom!

Not bitter at all are you. whatever.gif

You obviously have low standards, publishing what a vested interest says is hardly journalism. If its true, and I would hope it is then back it up with facts.

The news team read out news items, just that.

They are not going to reference every 4king topic or sentence as if they were writing a dissertation.

To be news it must first be proved to be based in fact, that's basic journalism, we don't even get that from a taxpayer funded supposedly national broadcaster.

Wow, J2 having yet ANOTHER pop at Manx Radio! And as usual is completely, utterly wrong.

The news story is that a leading estate agent says the market is on the up. The story doesn't say that it's a fact or not, just reports that he said it. Story was posted Saturday afternoon, so good luck with getting a registry or gubmint response even if sought (and no reason it would be). The first two pars of the story set a context and allow a reasonable person to muse at the likelihood of it being true. Ahhhh - I see where I went wrong: J2 isn't a reasonable person!

what's all this having a pop crap, I pay part of your wages I would rather I didn't though as I do I expect you to do a half arsed job at the very least.
So, where do you work J2? I want to know so I can be hostile and rude to you if there is even a slight chance I can link my tax to your salary. If not, do your children go to a state school, or do you receive national health treatment? If so, I can have a pop at you because I pay for those things and that entitles me to say what I like to you.

It would help the cause if some proper, factual figures were included rather than one mans adjudication.

It isn't one mans opinion though is it? He said he had spoken to a number of competitors who report similar increases in activity and thereby sales.

Nothing difficult about this. Browse the websites. It's clear they are busier.

Sigh

What I'm saying is, there's a difference in substance between a surge in demand and actual sales.

Do you see?

At the end of the day, it's still only his opinion, regardless of the claimed consultation with his competitors. They have a collective responsibility to present their business in a positive light. Demand may well be up but how much 'demand' ends in a sale?

This sort of Manx Radio reporting worries me. No research, just taking an estate agents word for it...an estate agent! next to MHKs or journalists lolhttp://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/housing-market-on-the-up/

Of course he's going to say such things after the official census figures show we are depopulating. That means too many houses for not enough people. Result price will remain soft for some time to come.

Surely this kind of story needs balance?

I do wonder why they seem to operate a 'cut and paste' newsroom!

Not bitter at all are you. :whatever:

You obviously have low standards, publishing what a vested interest says is hardly journalism. If its true, and I would hope it is then back it up with facts.

The news team read out news items, just that.

They are not going to reference every 4king topic or sentence as if they were writing a dissertation.

To be news it must first be proved to be based in fact, that's basic journalism, we don't even get that from a taxpayer funded supposedly national broadcaster.

Wow, J2 having yet ANOTHER pop at Manx Radio! And as usual is completely, utterly wrong.

The news story is that a leading estate agent says the market is on the up. The story doesn't say that it's a fact or not, just reports that he said it. Story was posted Saturday afternoon, so good luck with getting a registry or gubmint response even if sought (and no reason it would be). The first two pars of the story set a context and allow a reasonable person to muse at the likelihood of it being true. Ahhhh - I see where I went wrong: J2 isn't a reasonable person!

what's all this having a pop crap, I pay part of your wages I would rather I didn't though as I do I expect you to do a half arsed job at the very least.
So, where do you work J2? I want to know so I can be hostile and rude to you if there is even a slight chance I can link my tax to your salary. If not, do your children go to a state school, or do you receive national health treatment? If so, I can have a pop at you because I pay for those things and that entitles me to say what I like to you.

When people compare Manx Radio spending to NHS or education you know they are just being silly.

At the end of the day, it's still only his opinion, regardless of the claimed consultation with his competitors. They have a collective responsibility to present their business in a positive light. Demand may well be up but how much 'demand' ends in a sale?

TBF, that is all that was said.

In his opinion ( and others) it's on the up. That is all. Not a statement by Gov. depts. and nothing else claimed. What is the debate about ?

Well more activity and more demand will equal more sales.

As I said, have a nose on their websites. It's easy enough to see things are moving a hit now.

I've just literally spoke to someone who has sold their house. It was on for a little while and activity picked up after Xmas and they sold.

I'm not sure what people are scared of here........