Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

16 hours ago, gettafa said:

Dropped off the tax return today, governmentr building - blaring in the public area was 3fm.

It maybe a tactical thing, like white noise, or playing some particular music to stop a seige.

16 hours ago, woolley said:

Hopefully that was a business tax return. 

I saw this got a :crying: from gettafa. I meant that if it was a business return they are submitted according to the company's financial year, but if it was a personal tax return, it was late.

• Like 1

I've taken the £100 hit on a couple of occasions.

But that is not as bad as the time I put the Return in promptly by the end of April and using an accountant. What could be better I thought? However, the Tax Office would have had more time to peruse and question and I got grilled over every little thing. There was no problem with the Return but it cost me a fortune in lost hours answering all the queries and finding and providing further documents, to say nought about the hassle and stress..

Edited by gettafa

26 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Really enjoyed Mannin Line today broadcasted from Ballakermeen school, the youngsters talked a lot of sense and Andy Wint was great with his interviewing technique.   Full marks.

words that should never be repeated... ;)

22 minutes ago, piebaps said:

MR receive a payment from the Gov for public service broadcasting. This doesn't include the bike racing.

Rob proposed that they should be made to do it as part of the payment.

Tynwald refused to back his idea saying that it would be wrong to dictate what the media do or don't do.

The broadcast contract for TT and MGP will now go to a public tender and anyone interested will be able to bid - that is if anyone wants to which will of course depend on the terms of the tender they put out. In 2018 the terms for MR meant that they couldn't generate their own advertising and had to promote DFE's advertisers.

We're now around 8 months to TT so they'd better get their fingers out. Anyone winning a bid will need to find the equipment, infrastructure, frequencies and staff and all that will take time.

That's a good summary, but it needs to be added that, until recently, the public service provision effectively did include the TT and MGP in it.  Whether there were also extra payments given to the station for it (and if so how much) is as obscure as much of the rest of Manx Radio's accounting.

This year the franchise was effectively run by the DfE with Manx Radio being explicitly paid and the DfE handling the commercial side.  How this worked out in terms of profit and loss for either of course also obscure because we're not allowed to know what out betters get up to with our money whenever the is the slightest chance that 'commercial confidentiality' can be claimed.  However the fact that it was Callister and Skelly who wanted to revert to the old system  (though presumably without any extra payment from DfE) is rather revealing and suggest that their department made an entirely predictable financial cock-up.

It's also revealing that nobody else went along with it and that the (actually rather incoherent) argument against came from Shimmins who is a member of the Treasury.  Perhaps there's a feeling that the DfE should be allowed to go hang on this one.

• Like 4

@ Roger Mexico: I think that the outcome was obvious from the moment that DfE asserted that local advertisers would be excluded and only the official TT sponsors' content would be aired on the service. That exclusivity will have cost them. Furthermore, it might have implications for an attempt to return to the status quo ante. If local advertisers found their trade at this year's TT was up to the usual level it will have rather let the cat out of the bag. They might be reluctant to come back on board for the future.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

@ Roger Mexico: I think that the outcome was obvious from the moment that DfE asserted that local advertisers would be excluded and only the official TT sponsors' content would be aired on the service. That exclusivity will have cost them. Furthermore, it might have implications for an attempt to return to the status quo ante. If local advertisers found their trade at this year's TT was up to the usual level it will have rather let the cat out of the bag. They might be reluctant to come back on board for the future.

I suspect many local businesses advertised on Radio TT as much as a way of supporting the event as in expectation of further trade at a time when they will be very busy anyway. Obviously being told to piss off by Skelly's financial geniuses won't endear them in future, though they might come back if the control changes.

But I don't really know what is going on politically here, though there's obviously something happening between DfE and Treasury.  Usually this stuff is all sorted out at CoMin / CEO meeting level before it gets to Tynwald.

• Like 1

I think Cannan/Treasury are are also very fed up with DHSC, hence Michaels, and DHA, hence it won’t be around much longer. They (Cannan/Treasury) are, I reckon, also bollocks deep in the burgeoning of the irresistible Cabinet Office world domination expansion programme.

Skelly excepted, Manx Radio appears to have lost the support of Tynwald as a broadcasting institution promoting & supporting Manx culture

To me this is immensely worrying in itself, but poses the question as to what they now consider the station is there for & why the taxpayer should continue to fund it

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 12:50 PM, piebaps said:

You're not understanding woody.

MR receive a payment from the Gov for public service broadcasting. This doesn't include the bike racing.

Rob proposed that they should be made to do it as part of the payment.

Tynwald refused to back his idea saying that it would be wrong to dictate what the media do or don't do.

The broadcast contract for TT and MGP will now go to a public tender and anyone interested will be able to bid - that is if anyone wants to which will of course depend on the terms of the tender they put out. In 2018 the terms for MR meant that they couldn't generate their own advertising and had to promote DFE's advertisers.

We're now around 8 months to TT so they'd better get their fingers out. Anyone winning a bid will need to find the equipment, infrastructure, frequencies and staff and all that will take time.

i do get it......:rolleyes: hence the post......

On 10/22/2019 at 1:30 PM, Donald Trumps said:

But is the fugure MR paid last time round to broadcast the TT (£100,000+++) included in the public subsidy?

no....