Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

34 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Sustaining and reinvigorating the national broadcaster for the 21st century appears to mean 'reflecting the island's culture back to itself' by expanding prime air time for the 'wall-to-wall Brindley' broadcasting system

Contrast with the new, 21st century, vision for RTÉ: 

"As a small country, Ireland needs a media organisation that has the scale and resources to guarantee a strong and distinctive Irish voice and Irish perspective on the world; a voice that is accessible to all across different media, which articulates Irish stories, relays Irish experiences and allows for national public debate and conversation. We need a media organisation that addresses, as its priority, the challenges facing this society and this country. Above all, I believe we need a media service that does all of these things but is accountable, not to shareholders, individuals or the government of the day, but to the public. This is the ultimate promise of RTÉ."

is it rte that pays a fortune to the bbc?

23 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Great news for 3FM! 

The latest figures show that Manx Radio lost over 3% of it listeners from Q3 2018 and Q3 2019. The downward spiral continues. 

Strong evidence that MR needs more money from the taxpayer to win back listeners.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, woody2 said:

is it rte that pays a fortune to the bbc?

Think Ireland (don't know if it's RTE themselves) do pay the BBC to carry their programming, but I believe they get it for less per head then we do as compulsory licence fee payers

Stand to be corrected!

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Strong evidence that MR needs more money from the taxpayer to win back listeners.

They've just been given an extra £100,000

Don't know what the point is in funding them at all if they're not to promote Manx culture/perspective

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 10:15 AM, ecobob said:

I’ve just taken a look. White shirts on white background. Why? What a awful awful way to represent broadcasters all with their own personalities - dress them all the same and in the same colour. 

I’m a pretty blue sky approach kind of guy and I don’t find much to moan about but that page is so utterly utterly bad that was feel as though this is all a bad dream. 

This can’t all be really happening, can it? 

It looks like some were taken professionally while others were taken by amateurs using camera phones.

On 10/20/2019 at 11:19 PM, Augustus said:

The motorist was removed from the vehicle after it was stabilised and treated by the IOM Ambulance Service.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/police-called-out-to-crash-in-south-of-island/

The world-beaters at Manx Radio News. My question is how they managed to fit the vehicle on the stretcher?

Another one that sneaked past the News Editor: 

IoM Government considering electric number plate options

Does that mean that they can revolve, in true James Bond tradition?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/22/2019 at 11:28 PM, Uhtred said:

I think Cannan/Treasury are are also very fed up with DHSC, hence Michaels, and DHA, hence it won’t be around much longer. They (Cannan/Treasury) are, I reckon, also bollocks deep in the burgeoning of the irresistible Cabinet Office world domination expansion programme.

Ooh, I'm not sure about that - Cabinet Office and Treasury are two very separate camps, as I see it

9 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Ooh, I'm not sure about that - Cabinet Office and Treasury are two very separate camps, as I see it

There’s probably a bit of turf war tension but both will be happy to suck power and influence away from Departments.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Skelly excepted, Manx Radio appears to have lost the support of Tynwald as a broadcasting institution promoting & supporting Manx culture

To me this is immensely worrying in itself, but poses the question as to what they now consider the station is there for & why the taxpayer should continue to fund it

I don't think that this is borne out by the recent vote of a 10% funding rise in difficult times. I would have expected Tynwald to take the middle way of supporting the station for the time being but telling it to live within its existing means. I feel that this increase is a vote of confidence above and beyond what could reasonably have been expected in such straitened circumstances. I wonder if the station management is secretly surprised to be given everything they asked for.

Edited by woolley