Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

17 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Phil Gawne  on again today a full hours worth on the Mannin  line, oh so much air time, why don’t they just rebrand to

Manx radio featuring Phil Gawne.

Phil Gawne is being lined up for House of Keys again. In the guise of a down-to-earth cheeky man-of-the-people manx chappie, he looked after a lot of the rich and wealthy during his tenure.

The  Isle of Man Government and establishment (Hi there @piebaps) now have Manx Radio well under their control (or at least onside), it should be a cinch.

Edited by gettafa

2 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

If Phil Gawne can seize control of the national broadcaster and make it a Manx cultural institution again then he has my full support

I'll even supply some of the ammunition

I wish somebody would seize Phil Gawne.

I'll then happily supply some ammunition.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, parchedpeas said:

MR Rajar today , and the report into the BBC from OFCOM, should be a wake up call for Comms Commission.

pongo and me are right. The future of taxpayer funded broadcasting is in funding content, not in funding delivery methods. And it has come about a lot faster than I anticipated.

Delivery capacity is a major problem if you move from broadcast to individual on demand downloads. It is ridiculously wasteful of power too. Another problem is how to get people to consume the local content of which you speak. 

Now that Manx Radio morning is dumbing down, dumping the salt 'n' pepper/oldies set and going for the more youthful, I wonder if the main sponsor of Mandate, advocates firm Mann Venom will be re-thinking their advertising?

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

MR Rajar today , and the report into the BBC from OFCOM, should be a wake up call for Comms Commission.

pongo and me are right. The future of taxpayer funded broadcasting is in funding content, not in funding delivery methods. And it has come about a lot faster than I anticipated.

RAJAR shows that Manx Radio has increased reach and total hours this quarter. 3FM has slipped total hours and market share. Nobody knows what Energy numbers are since they don't trust the industry-standard method of measurement. It might all change next quarter. You and Pongo might be right ONE DAY, but certainly not in my lifetime. It's like you're suggesting we all give up efficient public transport for private vehicles.

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

It's like you're suggesting we all give up efficient public transport for private vehicles.

'Efficient Public Transport' in the isle of Man that means blowing millions on under utilised choo choos, horsetrams and load of busses without enough drivers. just for the benefit of a few old codgers.

I can see why you use this analogy for Manx Radio.

Edited by CharlieBrown
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, woolley said:

Delivery capacity is a major problem if you move from broadcast to individual on demand downloads. It is ridiculously wasteful of power too. Another problem is how to get people to consume the local content of which you speak. 

Publicise it on social media?

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

.. It's like you're suggesting we all give up efficient public transport for private vehicles.

No it;s not.

It's like stopping pouring money into what is now fast becoming a pitiful over-staffed radio station and giving it up to let market forces prevail.

A great pity I have to say.

This morning, for example, the usual reminder of 'the clocks go back an hour this weekend' was replaced with 20  minutes (that I heard before going to the Beeb) of stories and chat and google/wiki read-outs about the subject. I dare say much of the rest of the programme  was filled with the dumbed-downers contacting the station with their amusing stories of the clocks going back although I don't know and I no longer care.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

That would be an interesting challenge to #ClubTynwald, to ask them to determine what content the taxpayer should fund