Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

To be fair, Ben Hartley did a not bad run down of the latest Brexit situation. 

Just a thought, but from many accounts, Beth Espey was a good interviewer when she did some of the serious stuff. I suppose when the family came along she took a back seat on the women in the afternoon spot, Her level of curiosity and questioning was reduced to asking the listeners: "Do you call it a 'scon' or a 'scone'? Do you squeeze the toothpaste tube from the middle or do you do it nicely from the end".

It was classic stuff and surely was the groundbreaker for this marvellous Manx Radio that has been advertised so much  this past few months.

I think the Manx Radio presenters have all been Stepford-wifed by the Isle of Man Government via the huge subvention.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, gettafa said:

To be fair, Ben Hartley did a not bad run down of the latest Brexit situation. 

Just a thought, but from many accounts, Beth Espey was a good interviewer when she did some of the serious stuff. I suppose when the family came along she took a back seat on the women in the afternoon spot, Her level of curiosity and questioning was reduced to asking the listeners: "Do you call it a 'scon' or a 'scone'? Do you squeeze the toothpaste tube from the middle or do you do it nicely from the end".

It was classic stuff and surely was the groundbreaker for this marvellous Manx Radio that has been advertised so much  this past few months.

I think the Manx Radio presenters have all been Stepford-wifed by the Isle of Man Government via the huge subvention.

Yes Beth was a great interviewer and certainly the most challenging for our political representation. Perhaps being married to a senior civil servant put paid to  this aspect of her career before it threatened to put paid to other half Dan’s!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

I've dipped in and out over the last few days. Seems like there's lots of music, not so much of the speech. Can't understand how it costs so much.

With the subvention and the commercial revenue it's about £2m annual income, isn't it? So it's costing about £5.5k a day. I'd love to see that figure broken down. I reckon Stu will be pulling three quarters of it.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It's advice. 

You appear to be under the misapprehension Glad that Manx Radio journalists can spell, punctuate and apply correct grammar.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Listened to Manx Radio Breakfast for the first time @ 08:00 for more than the obligatory five minute news this morning.

Young Alex Wotton cuts the mustard for me, a good line of questioning . However, as 'nice' as Ben Hartley is, I do wonder what his role is other than linking traffic, weather and reading out Facebook comments into program. Does he do any serious journo presenting? 

Agree about Ms Wotton. She is a very good "serious" presenter - now reduced to trying to get "Ben's Banger"! I hope she won't be disappointed. (Ben himself has always been lightweight.)        Agree also that Beth is probably the best serious presenter/interviewer that MR have ever had, but now she has been reduced to presenting drivel.

It would seem that the dumbing down started at about the time that Mr Brindley was handed the reins.

Edited by KERED
Typo
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, woolley said:

One that really annoys me is the incorrect substitution of estimate for estimate by newsreaders.

I know it’s an old chestnut but it really hacks me off when the MR crew say ‘pleece’ instead of ‘police’. Every last one of the buggers does it.