Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic. The idea is as simple and universal as ideas get, like the wheel. But Roy Plomley and in particular his family and widow guarded the copyright to the Desert Island Disca idea.

I remember in late 1970s BBC Radio1 had a programme 'My Top Ten' with famous musicians etc. It was a great show, I think with Johnnie Walker interviewing, but had to be pulled because it was argued, successfully, that the idea was a rip-off of Desert Island Discs.

Manx Radio tried a similar My Top Ten about 10-15 years ago, but was similarly warned of breach of copyright.

It is only in recent years that Roy Plomley's family have become less tenacious, maybe there are too many precedents been set. Anyway, I look forward to Jason Moorhouse's and other people's favourite records. It will offer an interesting insight into the personality of guests.

Edited by gettafa

Roger Watterson didn't have an easy time of it 40 odd years ago. 

Folk talk about conspiracy theories and all that, but he was thrust into the very middle of it all. Of course it helped the big boys that the media and newspapers (apart from one) at the time wouldn't report or even hint at any of the proceedings.

He knew the score but reasonably enough in his case ended up backing down and going along with it all. He did ok in the end.

Edited by gettafa

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

I listened yesterday before the switch over to The Archers (or anything) and they mentioned Christy's Cracker, and whoever the bloke is on that show has one too. It's all got a smack of the playground about it and of course the programme controller. I wonder what his alliterative association might be?

Well it would have to be bigger than everyone else's. What about Brindley's Bazooka?

14 hours ago, woolley said:

Well it would have to be bigger than everyone else's. What about Brindley's Bazooka?

.. . . . or Howard's Howitzer

or Wotton's Whoppers

or Dollin's Donger

or Williams' Winkie ?

Edited by KERED
Addition of text.

19 hours ago, gettafa said:

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic. The idea is as simple and universal as ideas get, like the wheel. But Roy Plomley and in particular his family and widow guarded the copyright to the Desert Island Disca idea.

I remember in late 1970s BBC Radio1 had a programme 'My Top Ten' with famous musicians etc. It was a great show, I think with Johnnie Walker interviewing, but had to be pulled because it was argued, successfully, that the idea was a rip-off of Desert Island Discs.

Manx Radio tried a similar My Top Ten about 10-15 years ago, but was similarly warned of breach of copyright.

It is only in recent years that Roy Plomley's family have become less tenacious, maybe there are too many precedents been set. Anyway, I look forward to Jason Moorhouse's and other people's favourite records. It will offer an interesting insight into the personality of guests.

radio 2............ken bruce.......tracks of my years........

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gettafa said:

But Roy Plomley and in particular his family and widow guarded the copyright to the Desert Island Disc

They did something much closer to DIDs when Women Today was on. I think it was based on the tunes you would take if marooned on Conister Rock and Beth would interview the Island worthy who was the subject. Stu even used to rib her on air that it was a rip off of DIDs. 

• Haha 1

Stu and Beth had some hilarious chats at the changeover from TH to WT. The funniest was when Stu asked her whether her easy feminine charm and magnetic attraction were innate or learned at her mother's knee. For once she was rendered speechless and eventually replied, "You do realise we are having this conversation live on air? " :D

Edited by woolley
  • Haha 2