Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

radio 2............ken bruce.......tracks of my years........

Yep, good one. You can be sure that the BBC had lawyers crawling all over that one. The Plomley lawyers too. The matter seems so ridiculous, but as I said it has relaxed the past decade or so.

Even as kids and before ever knowing of DID, we would have our own top ten and reasons why and what the songs reminded us of and when and etc. But we wouldn't be able to take such a simple, obvious and universal idea to a radio show because the idea was copyrighted protected. That's what happens when lawyers looking for the loot persuade feckless judges to enforce a law.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

They did something much closer to DIDs when Women Today was on. I think it was based on the tunes you would take if marooned on Conister Rock and Beth would interview the Island worthy who was the subject. Stu even used to rib her on air that it was a rip off of DIDs. 

It's an excellent idea. Maybe change it to Calf of Man and the guest could relate their top ten (or top five whatever - but changing the number won't appease the lawyers) to their life and experiences on the Isle of Man.

15 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I have turned to Radio 2 now for the foreseeable except for Carnaby Street on Saturday mornings the drivel on MR was affecting my nerves.

I think the afternoons are pretty good.

The banter is very good most of the time and they make it fun. Beth, Christy and Howard gel well and Alex is a star in my eyes. I think a lot of his humor is wasted on many people by the sound of it. 

Although I am a big fan, I thought today’s live prog in Onchan was good, but far too drawn out.

I think Manx Radio is very good value for money, so, long may it continue to please people.

We should all be supporting the best local station instead of tuning into foreign stations like the beeb. When or if MR ever goes, there will be one almighty cry about not having a decent Manx station, just Muzak pumped out be the temps.

Edited by dilligaf

On 10/25/2019 at 2:54 PM, hissingsid said:

It was fresh, change of voices, better music and the idea of having different people on Mannin Line about wide spreading subjects is good. I think it is good.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:52 PM, hissingsid said:

I have listened on and off all morning, it has been on all morning I just have been in and out and have to say...I was totally wrong, I was prejudging it , it is refreshing and I am now realising how tired the old concept was.   Good move by whoever jiggled the deck chairs.

Hey sid our kid, has someone hacked you account?

13 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I have turned to Radio 2 now for the foreseeable except for Carnaby Street on Saturday mornings the drivel on MR was affecting my nerves.

Edited by gettafa
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I think the afternoons are pretty good.

The banter is very good most of the time and they make it fun. Beth, Christy and Howard gel well and Alex is a star in my eyes. I think a lot of his humor is wasted on many people by the sound of it. 

Although I am a big fan, I thought today’s live prog in Onchan was good, but far too drawn out.

I think Manx Radio is very good value for money, so, long may it continue to please people.

We should all be supporting the best local station instead of tuning into foreign stations like the beeb. When or if MR ever goes, there will be one almighty cry about not having a decent Manx station, just Muzak pumped out be the temps.

I don't see MR as Manx these days, the 'spirit' has gone - could be a station from anywhere

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

I don't see MR as Manx these days, the 'spirit' has gone - could be a station from anywhere

They are not going to win then. When they have real Manx people on the air they are accused of nepotism, then when some tune in they  moan they don’t appear to be Manx !

• Like 1

OK enough time has past to start to review the new Manx Radio output

Dealing with a positive in this post

Andy Wint at lunchtime, with a full time producer, is the big success story.

This programme shows how local radio can really succeed.

Unlike Talking Head, which relied on just repeating the old morning mandate material, now we get the news agenda being moved forward.

Mr Wint is not looking for music to fill his allotted airtime.  He wants to engage with studio guests and can fill the full hour with ease.

Its clearly not the old Manninline, as very few people now want to call in, yet the standard of debate is great.

I understand this programme change is down to new MD Chis Sully so he can be congratulated on this programme change.

Might take a few RAJAR figures to show the improvement, but I think it will come.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, dilligaf said:

They are not going to win then. When they have real Manx people on the air they are accused of nepotism, then when some tune in they  moan they don’t appear to be Manx !

Who accuses Manx Radio of nepotism for having Manx people on air?

That's what it should be there for

I see no reason for the islands taxpayers to fund emulations of UK broadcasters to the 'tune' of £1m per annum

It's a national embarrassment

Tynwald should pull the plug on the present service & fast

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Who accuses Manx Radio of nepotism for having Manx people on air?

That's what it should be there for

I see no reason for the islands taxpayers to fund emulations of UK broadcasters to the 'tune' of £1m per annum

It's a national embarrassment

Tynwald should pull the plug on the present service & fast

I think the “ Radio Gawne” thread says it all about it’s detractors