Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Let's try this again.

The government of the day have a duty to get their message across to the electorate known as "trying to look busy/clever/involved/not guilty" whatever.

In the UK they have lots of TV stations with which to reach out to every household notably via the "national" station the BBC. Now the BBC rarely comes to the island. IIRC the last time being when a flood exposed how many English accents were living in Laxey.

So the government have to use the wireless as it's readily available to all, especially the old folks, and is therefore the medium of choice. Which means they have to pay for it.

Now there's no such thing as "Bank of Tynwald" or similar. But you would be forgiven for thinking there was. So it has to come out of general taxation.

Now I think it's perfectly reasonable to complain about the quality of the output just as you would complain about any goods or services you paid for that fell short of expectations.

But don't drip and moan about the funding. It's no different from paying MHK's outrageous expenses ie the cost of doing business....

13 hours ago, WKRP said:

OK enough time has past to start to review the new Manx Radio output

Dealing with a positive in this post

Andy Wint at lunchtime, with a full time producer, is the big success story.

This programme shows how local radio can really succeed.

Unlike Talking Head, which relied on just repeating the old morning mandate material, now we get the news agenda being moved forward.

Mr Wint is not looking for music to fill his allotted airtime.  He wants to engage with studio guests and can fill the full hour with ease.

Its clearly not the old Manninline, as very few people now want to call in, yet the standard of debate is great.

I understand this programme change is down to new MD Chis Sully so he can be congratulated on this programme change.

Might take a few RAJAR figures to show the improvement, but I think it will come.

Give it a few more weeks and see how many people will put up with being talked at. Like any self-obsessed know-it-all they are interesting for a short while.

16 hours ago, WKRP said:

OK enough time has past to start to review the new Manx Radio output

Dealing with a positive in this post

Andy Wint at lunchtime, with a full time producer, is the big success story.

This programme shows how local radio can really succeed.

Unlike Talking Head, which relied on just repeating the old morning mandate material, now we get the news agenda being moved forward.

Mr Wint is not looking for music to fill his allotted airtime.  He wants to engage with studio guests and can fill the full hour with ease.

Its clearly not the old Manninline, as very few people now want to call in, yet the standard of debate is great.

I understand this programme change is down to new MD Chis Sully so he can be congratulated on this programme change.

Might take a few RAJAR figures to show the improvement, but I think it will come.

Nice to see you saying something good about Manx Radio. Is it your first positive post about the station ?

I switched on just before the news yesterday morning. Apparently things were getting exciting because there were more people calling in for the quiz "Where's Wotton". I didn't bother to stay for the news.

This morning, things were getting "exciting" because they were going to play some record or other.

Whatever the Programme Controller and bosses at Manx Radio want is up to them, but at a cost of £1milllion per annum to the taxpayer, this stuff becomes just bile.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1