Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Yep, they've wheeled in likes of advocates to give some opinion on a non-story that they've suddenly decided is News. It must be a bit of a bastard when there is nothing actually happening. The estate agents thing can be a story on the backburner for months. They'll have loads of these instant news stories. Same wiith the newspapers. Salaries have to be justified.

So, what hugely important news broke in the IOM on Saturday afternoon that you heard about and my colleagues missed?

Dunno about Saturday but on Sunday there was an RTC between a bus and a horsebox

If they only reported when there was huge, breaking, exciting news they would hardly report at all and then you'd all be on here killing them for that. There really isn't much for them to report. The real story could be why they need so many people up there to do a job that could probably be done by three or four people. It's another curse of the 'we're a nation, not an island' mentality that has seen so much money disappear to fuel this ridiculous belief that we're something more than an average sized town.

You can't really blame Manx Radio for it, because the whole of the public sector is set up that way. Think how much richer we would all be if we just cut and pasted legislation form the UK and amended where absolutely necessary. Think how many non-jobs would have to go and how much private enterprise would spring up in its place out of necessity.

Hey ho. It won't change. Too many people in high office think they're regulating the City Of London and too many people who work for Barclays think they're working in the City Of London and so we end up with the costs of running this Fant-a-city. And it makes most of us worse off.

• Like 4

You probably can't measure journalistic productivity at MR, station managers may spend a lot of time telling journos not to cover stories

Donald, I quite enjoy reading your posts and having some banter with you, but I can tell you after 17 years with the company and being the person often handling the stories that you might expect to be spiked, this is blatantly and I suspect actionably untrue. It does the company, its staff and the politicians a grave unjustice.

Please correct it immediately or I'll take it further.

• Like 1

If they only reported when there was huge, breaking, exciting news they would hardly report at all and then you'd all be on here killing them for that. There really isn't much for them to report. The real story could be why they need so many people up there to do a job that could probably be done by three or four people. It's another curse of the 'we're a nation, not an island' mentality that has seen so much money disappear to fuel this ridiculous belief that we're something more than an average sized town.

You can't really blame Manx Radio for it, because the whole of the public sector is set up that way. Think how much richer we would all be if we just cut and pasted legislation form the UK and amended where absolutely necessary. Think how many non-jobs would have to go and how much private enterprise would spring up in its place out of necessity.

Hey ho. It won't change. Too many people in high office think they're regulating the City Of London and too many people who work for Barclays think they're working in the City Of London and so we end up with the costs of running this Fant-a-city. And it makes most of us worse off.

PP, I agree with many of your observations in this. But the reason for so many staff is that there is a legal requirement for MR to provide a full news service with hourly (sometimes more) bulletins throughout the day and three longer (Mandate) news/CA programmes. When you allow for holidays, sickness, people covering court, Keys, Tynwald or other events, there appears to be zero slack in the newsroom. That was certainly the case when I worked in there.

I haven't made any 'allegation', specific or otherwise, & indeed have praised some journalism from the station

I've no idea how you do or don't measure journalistic productivity at Manx Radio, & whether managers do or don't tell journalists what to write

I have my own views as to how Mr Peters runs his show, but I keep them to myself

I haven't made any 'allegation', specific or otherwise, & indeed have praised some journalism from the station

I've no idea how you do or don't measure journalistic productivity at Manx Radio, & whether managers do or don't tell journalists what to write

I have my own views as to how Mr Peters runs his show, but I keep them to myself

You should stop embarrassing yourself

You should stop embarrassing yourself

So should you

PP, I agree with many of your observations in this. But the reason for so many staff is that there is a legal requirement for MR to provide a full news service with hourly (sometimes more) bulletins throughout the day and three longer (Mandate) news/CA programmes. When you allow for holidays, sickness, people covering court, Keys, Tynwald or other events, there appears to be zero slack in the newsroom. That was certainly the case when I worked in there.

I defer to your greater knowledge on this then, Stu. But I'd counter by saying that - if this is the case - the legal requirements put on the station are over the top. In any single hour of any single day on the Isle of Man, what realistically happens that requires writing up and reporting hourly? Very little, I'd imagine. You could just as easily have the three longer programmes you mention, and leave it at that.

It's that 'over the top' mentality that runs through government and has led to so many of the white elephants that we've got now, and will be paying for for years to come.

• Like 1