Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

I never thought it would happen but I’ve stopped listening to it altogether. I was the absence of Mandate that did it for me and once I found an alternative morning listening programme I found that the rest of it suited me very well too.

I’ve been a Manx radio stalwart all my my life but it wasn’t till I read your post Albert that I realised I’ve abandoned it altogether.  

Ah well, a change is apparently as good as a rest. I wonder though if anyone else has moved elsewhere? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Good grief...a 2 week gap in posts on the Manx Radio thread? Feels like most of us have now stopped listening to it...as I have, since its reformatting to the new "dumbdown first year GCSE media studies mode".

Listened for an hour on Sunday but that was all over the last couple of weeks

1 hour ago, ecobob said:

I never thought it would happen but I’ve stopped listening to it altogether. I was the absence of Mandate that did it for me and once I found an alternative morning listening programme I found that the rest of it suited me very well too.

I’ve been a Manx radio stalwart all my my life but it wasn’t till I read your post Albert that I realised I’ve abandoned it altogether.  

Ah well, a change is apparently as good as a rest. I wonder though if anyone else has moved elsewhere? 

LBC for me

1 hour ago, ecobob said:

I used to be a regular for breakfast and lunch but now just the occasional Stu for supper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ecobob said:

I listen to Manx Radio for the 'news' at whatever time it is (7:40 or thereabouts, maybe) and unless there has been some earth shattering news I will switch back over to BBC Radio 4.

Morning Mandate was the flagship of the Manx Radio fleet and why someone (was it you Alex? Was it you?) would want to virtually destroy it is beyond me. I would say leave it to market forces as I am sure the advertising value has plummeted. But when you have a certain advertiser giving you a big fat cheque of £1million+ each year, market forces are the last thing they will be worried about.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, woolley said:

I suppose that we are not the new target demographic though, so they won't care as long as thousands of bright young things have been added to the regular audience. Somehow though, I don't see it happening among people to whom even the boy Brindley is an old fart. 

I agree but weren’t they already catered for by energy and 3 fm? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

I suppose that we are not the new target demographic though, so they won't care as long as thousands of bright young things have been added to the regular audience. Somehow though, I don't see it happening among people to whom even the boy Brindley is an old fart. 

The national broadcaster is supposed to be Manx community radio for all ages, but probably most important for those of us who are getting on a bit. That Treasury is encouraging it to abandon elder folk for the sake of acquiring some younger listeners appears to demonstrate that Treasury doesn't care, but as we know their idol Mrs T said "there's no such thing as community"

• Like 1

I think perhaps a deal was done. Government wanted to shut down MR. Government didn’t like the increasing pressure on mandate to answer the unanswerable. 

Stop Mandate but carry on with the funding. No questions asked. 

Thats  my theory. 

• Like 4

Any radio station manager will tell you its very important to get people tuning in at breakfast, then it’s likely the casual listener won’t move from that station throughout the day, ok that’s in the old world before you could get Alexia to find any station, any style of music from anywhere in the world. 

It appears the station has decided to dump the current affairs option for a music show with the odd interview interspersed throughout. This morning there was a truly toe curling item from John Moss in a plantation. With no one to interview we were left with a classic Moss special, talking to himself but thinking we could see what he was looking at. I expect this report didn’t get anywhere near an editor for checking, but was just sent to air to fill the quota of a non music item.

The problem, as I see it with the programme is it’s now DJ fronted. Young Mr Hartley, who is very adequate as the stations fill in presenter with name checking Manx Radio in every link and telling us what is coming up next etc., but doesn’t seem very comfortable at anything more than introducing the next disk. Think the very first track played when the show launched, by Dodgy, is summing up what’s going on.

With the current line up of presenters Ms Wottan needs to be the anchor and needs to pull out of the trivial stuff completely such as ‘where’s Wottan’ etc. It’s a credibility issue.

For me, if I was to suggest how to fix this problem, I would use the money being spent on DJs at 5am and after 7pm and put it into a refreshed Mandate programme running 7-9 or until 10 with some music if needed to pad out. Presented by Andy Wint, Chris Cave, Beth Espey and Alex Wotan...oh and give Juan Turner a commentary slot as a good windup segment!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1