Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

It does, as a 3,200 signature to preserve the Manx Folklife gallery was completely ignored

& a Manx Radio survey into listener preferences led to Tynwald giving them £1m to move the audience away from the 0ver 50s audience to whom community radio is key

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

It does, as a 3,200 signature to preserve the Manx Folklife gallery was completely ignored

& a Manx Radio survey into listener preferences led to Tynwald giving them £1m to move the audience away from the 0ver 50s audience to whom community radio is key

3,200 signatures out of a population of 80k is an ignorable squeak under the democratic process. A bit like the 6k signatures of the Toilet Tax petition.

MR is simply dumbing down its output to suit the political interest level of the majority of the electorate on the Island.

Which also happens to conveniently suit some people just fine as it's one less bit of accountability that might otherwise oblige them to explain their decisions and the consequences to the minority of that electorate who do have more interest and concern. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

3,200 signatures out of a population of 80k is an ignorable squeak under the democratic process. A bit like the 6k signatures of the Toilet Tax petition.

I was sickened watching the MHKs in Tynwald passing around the 6,000+ toilet tax petition and laughing and making jokes about it.

And yes, 3,200 or 6,000 in a population of 89k can be argued as being a small percentage.

But far smaller by a long way is the few hundred votes (certainly way less than 2k) some of these clowns received at general election and given a 5 year ticket on the gravy train to decide on our futures.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

MR is simply dumbing down its output to suit the political interest level of the majority of the electorate on the Island.

Which also happens to conveniently suit some people just fine as it's one less bit of accountability that might otherwise oblige them to explain their decisions and the consequences to the minority of that electorate who do have more interest and concern. 

No, I think over 2,000 signatures on a petition entitles you to have a question asked in Tynwald - unfortunately that wasn't mentioned on the petition

I do agree that MR has gone even softer on politicians than they were before

Dollin Mercer puts together a good programme on Sundays tho'

The new dumbed-down Manx Radio had been well up and running and such as the Mandate current affairs programme was well binned by the time the matter was brought up in Tynwald. Every one of them would have been aware of the changes. A £million pound of taxpapayers money well spent, they would think.

Calling the midday programme The Mannin Line is like a piss take and a kick in the teeth to what has gone before. The current presenter is incapable of reading out any email/txt without censoring or dropping meaningful parts of it off.

The current presenter should take heed of the words that Roger Watterson had relayed to him when he started out at the BBC  "No one is interested in how smart and clever you are"

ETA

The point being:

Either:

1. Tynwald members were fully aware of the changes to Manx Radio (main change to drop Morning Mandate) and were perfectly happy to give circa £1million pounds without further discussion

or

2. Tynwald members were not aware of the changes to Manx Radio (presumably because the members did not listen to Manx Radio), and to give circa £1million pounds anyway, without further discussion

1. or 2. You decide.

Either way it' doesn't look good.

But that folks, is why Manx Radio exudes such a high level of jolliness and frivolity these days. Nice work if you can get it.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MrPB said:

So he didn’t read all your text out? 

Never does. They are usually two sentences long but he always changing a word or two or leaves crucial bits out. Because he can.

Apparently it's a syndrome, can't think of the name. Like you take something to your boss or whatever to be checked and they always change something or amend it, no matter what. Because they can.

As a result, I'm not sure if there is anything I can trust that he says or confidently professes on the air.  Give Stu his due, he wasn't a smart arse. And none of the presenters of the Manx Radio phone-in shows ever really have been over the decades. 

It's just another reason to flick the switch.

• Like 2

Listened in one time. A guy called Brindley was on making crap jokes. Never listened again. There are many alternatives. Energy FM, 3fm, Radio 2, Radio 4, LBC etc. Personally I like Amazon Music where you can play the type of stuff you like without any drivel in between. 

I would ask my MHK why a million of our quids is being given to a particular radio station to pander to those who can’t explore the alternatives but I would only get some drivel in response. Perhaps that is where the connection is. 

Are there any reliable audience figures for Manx Radio? I would like to know how many of the population are benefiting from the million quid fluttered away on it. Can’t find anyone in my family that listens to it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, joebean said:

Listened in one time. A guy called Brindley was on making crap jokes. Never listened again. There are many alternatives. Energy FM, 3fm, Radio 2, Radio 4, LBC etc. Personally I like Amazon Music where you can play the type of stuff you like without any drivel in between. 

I would ask my MHK why a million of our quids is being given to a particular radio station to pander to those who can’t explore the alternatives but I would only get some drivel in response. Perhaps that is where the connection is. 

Are there any reliable audience figures for Manx Radio? I would like to know how many of the population are benefiting from the million quid fluttered away on it. Can’t find anyone in my family that listens to it. 

Last summer I was out in the garden playing with some antennas and left YouTube playing a music video.

YouTube then decided to entertain me for the next hour with a superb selection that beats the pants off MR / BBC etc.

I occasionally listen to MR - it's really piss-poor these days.

• Like 2

Seems Brindley and co are already bracing themselves for the latest listening figures news from the rating company RAJR

The fieldwork period is from 30th December 2019 – 29th March 2020 the results go to radio stations on 13th May and gets released to the public the next day.

Do not expect to see a massive change in numbers as the smaller stations numbers are averaged out over the previous returns sessions to make any major changes less hitting.

Do expect them to get the good news that they retained the TT commentary from a challenge from Energy FM. What will be interesting is how much the government contract will be worth.
Most media pay to cover sports events but with the TT its the other way round.
  • Like 3

I tuned in (from BBCR4) to catch the local news at 08:40. I felt a duty to do so. I'd missed nothing, and straight away the three presenters started chatting about their Christmas/New Years TV viewing.

I really can't be arsed with it anymore. I'll just have to trust the newspapers to keep me informed. And if there is anything local I need to hear I will hear it on the BBC. OK, that may mean once a year there is a flood or something, but that will do. 

It's all up to Manx Radio how they run the station but please, can the Isle of Man Government stop throwing taxpayers money at the Manx Radio  mess.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Last summer I was out in the garden playing with some antennas and left YouTube playing a music video.

YouTube then decided to entertain me for the next hour with a superb selection that beats the pants off MR / BBC etc.

I occasionally listen to MR - it's really piss-poor these days.

The YouTube algorithms are very good

• Like 1