Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

6 hours ago, MrPB said:

Dollin Mercer and that other idiot Manx fella on a Sunday seem to be having a competition to see who can effect the most ridiculous Manx accent known to man. It’s hilarious to listen to. Noooooooowwwwwwww theeeeeeeennnn, lets have a loooooooooooooooooook at whaaaaaaaaaaaats cooooooooomming up in the neeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwsssssss at oooooooooonnnnnnnee o’clooooooooooccccckkkkk ... 

I think you've got the wrong guy. You're thinking of Gawnio and whoever it is does the presenting.

DM seems to be one of the few down to earth unaffected people left up there these days.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

I'm not a regular listener to MR outside of the TT but I can't think of a better reason to turn off or switch stations than hearing Phil Gawne's nasal whine and the faux attempts to replicate, or the emphasis on, Manx accents by he and his co-presenters (how come he gets so much airtime anyway?).

It just doesn't ring realistic in this day and age. Maybe after we've reverted to spuds and (no) herring for a few years....

13 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I think you've got the wrong guy. You're thinking of Gawnio and whoever it is does the presenting.

DM seems to be one of the few down to earth unaffected people left up there these days.

Mercer's not a bad presenter, but you do sometimes feel there is a "Manxier than thou, yessir" competition going on, up on Douglas Head.  Though I suppose it makes a change from the stereotypical mid-Atlantic spiel that is so prevalent in the radio industry.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Mercer's not a bad presenter, but you do sometimes feel there is a "Manxier than thou, yessir" competition going on, up on Douglas Head.  Though I suppose it makes a change from the stereotypical mid-Atlantic spiel that is so prevalent in the radio industry.

Dollin is just about the only Manx person left up there isn't he?

Ewan works for the Beeb

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Mercer's not a bad presenter, but you do sometimes feel there is a "Manxier than thou, yessir" competition going on, up on Douglas Head. 

Nice expression you've invented there oor Rog

There are some pubs you go into where the local bore thinks he has some sort of dispensation to talk extra loudly and of course 'manxie manxie'.

It gets a bit embarrassing, but I only have to listen to Manx Radio on Sunday afternoon to realise the pub guy is actually ok really.

3 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Ewan works for the Beeb

Don't they just about all. 

The licence fee pays for a fair few over here. Easiest Beeb jobs in the UK, and paid for by the licence fee payer to shut everyone up. Which is fair enough, but time to stop the Isle of Man Government (taxpayer) subvention to Manx Radio. There is simply no more piss left to be taken. Is there?

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The licence fee pays for a fair few over here. Easiest Beeb jobs in the UK, and paid for by the licence fee payer to shut everyone up. 

Well there are said to be three BBC reporters on the Island (not including Gawne), and I know I've said it before, but it's a mystery what they do.  To be fair to Gawne he actually does appear to produce a fair amount of in depth stuff, both for Manx Radio and other outlets.  But to get three online stories  a day (as today) is rare[1] if you're luck and a lot of days nothing at all.  Given the rather odd stories they do cover, it's hardly comprehensive.

One reason why may come from a strange remark in an IOMN article last September on discussions between Chris Thomas and (rather confusingly and presumably no relation) Helen Thomas, the BBC Director for England:

During their meeting, BBC director Miss Thomas detailed a number of actions the BBC has taken to enhance the island’s coverage. These included a change in the editorial process by appointing a senior journalist to allow for decisions to be made in island.

The minister added: ’I understand this has seen growth in digital consumption from the Isle of Man.

[...] The BBC also funds some Manx Radio content in the island, paying for Manx language programmes and the station’s local democracy reporter.

Mr Thomas added: ’Miss Thomas confirmed during our meeting that the BBC will be recruiting a political reporter to be based in the Isle of Man to further enhance coverage.’

A BBC spokesman said: ’We’re pleased we’ll soon be recruiting a political reporter based on the Isle of Man. This exciting new role will expand our existing resource and help us explain and scrutinise even more the work of Tynwald and other public bodies.

’We already have three journalists on the island and fund a local democracy reporter there though our local news partnerships.’

So maybe they haven't got used to the new freedom where they actually don't have to get every news story cleared by Head Office.

If anyone wants to apply for the new political reporter job, they've got three days to do so.   If recent BBC political coverage in England is anything to go by, it will consist of repeating whatever they've been told by the government spin doctors, no matter how ridiculous or blatantly untrue.   So they should fit right in to the Manx media environment.

[1]  There were two yesterday but they turned out to be the same story with different numbers in.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well there are said to be three BBC reporters on the Island (not including Gawne), and I know I've said it before, but it's a mystery what they do. 

Three!!??

Yes the youngfella Gawne does a fair enough job. Don't know what the others do. One is a producer and must do producer stuff. There is certainly one who seems to be on a permanent party playing guitar and crooning at Open Mic events and that. Nice work if you can get it.

It reminds me of some of the offices on Athol Street in the 1970/80 (and maybe even now) where there had to be an Isle of Man presence so a girl was paid full-time to sit at the phone and take messages, sometimes just one a day.

It was the same with an engineering company over here. Someone paid to sit by the phone and do nothing else except play Solitaire (it was all the rage back then. I believe they later went through a Candy Crush phase)

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

What a sterling grip you have on the complexities of modern English

I do not disagree with you, I don't.

But the real truth will be in the listening figures for the show.

Unless DFE statisticians are allowed to calibrate them, then there will be a million reasons to put a good spin on it,

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I do not disagree with you, I don't.

But the real truth will be in the listening figures for the show.

Unless DFE statisticians are allowed to calibrate them, then there will be a million reasons to put a good spin on it,

Don't disagree, but do DfE have experience in that area?

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well there are said to be three BBC reporters on the Island (not including Gawne), and I know I've said it before, but it's a mystery what they do.  To be fair to Gawne he actually does appear to produce a fair amount of in depth stuff, both for Manx Radio and other outlets.  But to get three online stories  a day (as today) is rare[1] if you're luck and a lot of days nothing at all.  Given the rather odd stories they do cover, it's hardly comprehensive.

One reason why may come from a strange remark in an IOMN article last September on discussions between Chris Thomas and (rather confusingly and presumably no relation) Helen Thomas, the BBC Director for England:

So maybe they haven't got used to the new freedom where they actually don't have to get every news story cleared by Head Office.

If anyone wants to apply for the new political reporter job, they've got three days to do so.   If recent BBC political coverage in England is anything to go by, it will consist of repeating whatever they've been told by the government spin doctors, no matter how ridiculous or blatantly untrue.   So they should fit right in to the Manx media environment.

[1]  There were two yesterday but they turned out to be the same story with different numbers in.

I cannot for the life of me understand why we need political - or any other - reporting from the state broadcaster of a near neighbour

Tynwald should be working on anticipating the abolition of the BBC licence fee and developing the assured status of our own national broadcaster as a wide ranging news & current affairs station for our own community on the Isle of Man, perhaps with a 'talk' focus

MHKs & MLCs should study the ongoing reappraisal of the mission statement for national broadcaster RTE in the near neighbour to the west

• Like 2