Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

26 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

This 'find younger listeners' thing is surely quite wrong?

It surely is. To drag George 3fm Ferguson back in. 

I don't know who is pulling the strings up at Manx Radio these days and who has instigated the changes. It was all before the new boss. Maybe with him being new to the Island George has grabbed his ear and told him what a golden lad he is at spinning the discs. (He is probably good for the grannies, I don't know, although I doubt it).

11 hours ago, Nellie said:

I generally try to be supportive of Manx Radio, but this looks like a significant 'own goal' to me.

Their declared objective is to try to attract a younger audience, so they hand one of their flagship shows over to a man is his mid-seventies, with the added bonus that he's spent the last 15 years trying to put them out of business! You couldn't make it up.

It is fairly obvious that George has left 3FM.  Which is incredible, as he had such a hand in setting it up then launching and running it.  So Ron Berry will be going it alone.

As for George at Manx Radio, he’ll fit right in.  He is Manx Radio stalwart, and despite being competing with them for 15 years or so, he will always have a huge affection for the place.  He’s covering for Chris Kinley at the moment, in the evenings, expect to hear him covering elsewhere too.

I must admit, Manx Radio appear to be far more forgiving (towards George) than I would have expected.  

Edited by Gagster
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Nellie said:

Their declared objective is to try to attract a younger audience, so they hand one of their flagship shows over to a man is his mid-seventies, with the added bonus that he's spent the last 15 years trying to put them out of business! You couldn't make it up.

You can't attach a value to desperation. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gagster said:

It is fairly obvious that George has left 3FM.  Which is incredible, as he had such a hand in setting it up then launching and running it.  So Ron Berry will be going it alone.  

The idea of another radio station was first mooted between the two of them in the back bar of the Woodie. I'm surprised it ever got started let alone lasted this long, but it surely has.

I would have thought GF would have taken the opportunity to take 3fm to further places now that Manx Radio seems to have shot its load on its foot.

But Manx Radio is so cash rich just now after the £1million annual bonanza from the Government, it looks like they've bought George away from 3fm. But I think MR has just shot itself in the other foot

I see the situation as lose-lose-lose-lose,. Especially the Manx Taxpayer.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

Manx Radio will never attract young people, never in a million years.   I know a lot of young and youngish people, say in their 30s and none of them listen to MR .   MR should cater for the audience they have which are golden oldies when they put the rap crap on they are just losing them as well. Look after the listeners you have MR leave the youngsters to Radio 1 .

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Manx Radio will never attract young people, never in a million years.   I know a lot of young and youngish people, say in their 30s and none of them listen to MR .   MR should cater for the audience they have which are golden oldies when they put the rap crap on they are just losing them as well. Look after the listeners you have MR leave the youngsters to Radio 1 .

And when they die?

Then you'd be on here saying "why didn't Manx Radio grow their listener base".

The way to do this - without wanting to be boring over and over again - was to leave the radio to tick over as it was and to expand into content such as podcasting and video. They've started, but it's all a bit half-arsed.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gagster said:

As for George at Manx Radio, he’ll fit right in.  He is Manx Radio stalwart, and despite being competing with them for 15 years or so, he will always have a huge affection for the place.  He’s covering for Chris Kinley at the moment, in the evenings, expect to hear him covering elsewhere too.

I must admit, Manx Radio appear to be far more forgiving (towards George) than I would have expected.  

Didn`t george say something on manx radio about his pipe ?

19 hours ago, gettafa said:

The idea of another radio station was first mooted between the two of them in the back bar of the Woodie. I'm surprised it ever got started let alone lasted this long, but it surely has.

I would have thought GF would have taken the opportunity to take 3fm to further places now that Manx Radio seems to have shot its load on its foot.

But Manx Radio is so cash rich just now after the £1million annual bonanza from the Government, it looks like they've bought George away from 3fm. But I think MR has just shot itself in the other foot

I see the situation as lose-lose-lose-lose,. Especially the Manx Taxpayer.

Bring back the "Jollie Bodies"

Just listening to the patronizing crap on the radio this lunchtime. Well done that clearly intelligent school girl who realized that the idiot interviewing her was pushing her to say things she didn’t want to say and didn’t mean. What a tosser. Trying to use a child to say things that were controversial about the TT and government in general. She had more brains than him. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2