Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Who writes the news stories on Manxradio.com by the way?

I just read this latest news story and couldn't help but laugh at the over use of quotation marks.

Police are currently dealing with what's being described as an 'on-going situation' in Douglas.

An incident has drawn their attention on Osborne Terrace, near to the Manx Museum - and they have closed the road while the matter is being 'dealt with'.

Exept there is reallly and "over use of quotation mark"thumbsup.gif

Use of single quote marks rather than double quotation marks can offer a subtle difference in interpretation.

• Like 1

Use of single quote marks rather than double quotation marks can offer a subtle difference in interpretation.

Except in this case both quotes are taken directly from the police Twitter / Facebook pages. So they should have used double quotes rather than use single ones that rather suggest the police are exaggerating or making things up.

I'm not sure that Manx Radio does subtle (or indeed interpretation) much online.

• Like 2

Interesting. I'd only use double quotes as speech marks. Maybe I've been wrong all these years.

No, you'd be right. The usual convention was to use double quotes when actually quoting what someone said or wrote while single quotes were used jargon, neologisms, slang, use of words that the writer wished to not endorse and so on[1]. In recent decades however the single quote has come to be used more for everything maybe because people think it looks 'cleaner'[2]; maybe because it doesn't require the shift key on most keyboards.. Manx Radio online seems to do it now and it leads to the danger that things can end up looking 'sarky'[2] when they weren't meant to.

[1] They also have the technical use for quotes within quotes, so you can distinguish one from the other.

[2] See what I did there.

• Like 4

DT: I have broad shoulders and a thick skin, and enjoy robust banter so feel free to mock. Just don't promulgate damaging lies based on conjecture.

I may be a miserable old git but I'm not one for a lie

Conjecture is largely what Manx Forums is about, but that's just a personal opinion

• Like 2