Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Since I am in a pedantic mood...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-business/steam-packet-to-be-title-sponsor-of-new-classic-tt-initiative/

"

Classic TT Auction to give motorcycle fans chance to buy vintage memorabilia

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company is set to be an official sponsor of the 2020 Classic TT.

Not only that, the Company will also be title sponsor of a new initiative; the Classic TT Auction.

Operated by Charterhouse Auctioneers, the event is set to take place in August and will give motorcycle fans the opportunity to view and buy a variety of rare, vintage bikes and memorabilia." 

Is set? what like cement, or jelly? Or like a bomb or an alarm?

OK I guess they mean "is set [on course] to...", but by God it's ugly English.  

"The Isle of Man Steam Packet will be an official sponsor..."

"the event will take place in August..."

46 minutes ago, Declan said:

Since I am in a pedantic mood...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-business/steam-packet-to-be-title-sponsor-of-new-classic-tt-initiative/

"

Classic TT Auction to give motorcycle fans chance to buy vintage memorabilia

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company is set to be an official sponsor of the 2020 Classic TT.

Not only that, the Company will also be title sponsor of a new initiative; the Classic TT Auction.

Operated by Charterhouse Auctioneers, the event is set to take place in August and will give motorcycle fans the opportunity to view and buy a variety of rare, vintage bikes and memorabilia." 

Is set? what like cement, or jelly? Or like a bomb or an alarm?

OK I guess they mean "is set [on course] to...", but by God it's ugly English.  

"The Isle of Man Steam Packet will be an official sponsor..."

"the event will take place in August..."

Should it not read "The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company are set to be an official sponsor of the 2020 Classic TT"

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Should it not read "The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company are set to be an official sponsor of the 2020 Classic TT"

It's debatable. It's one company after all. 

A band or team "the Beatles are...", "Liverpool are ..." definitely should be plural becasue they are collections of individuals. 

But is a company a thing in it's own right? Personally, I'd favour "are" over "is", but I think that's probably personal choice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

It's debatable. It's one company after all. 

A band or team "the Beatles are...", "Liverpool are ..." definitely should be plural becasue they are collections of individuals. 

But is a company a thing in it's own right? Personally, I'd favour "are" over "is", but I think that's probably personal choice. 

Recently (last 20-odd years) companies have become singular, so IOM Racket is an excellent operation would be grammatically correct.

Referring to the Beatles as a company then use is, as a collection of people then are.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Recently (last 20-odd years) companies have become singular, so IOM Racket is an excellent operation would be grammatically correct.

Referring to the Beatles as a company then use is, as a collection of people then are.

There seems to be some difference between British usage (which tends to favour the plural) and American (which tend to the singular), though both usages are valid in both countries.  So an increase in singular probably reflects US sources.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There seems to be some difference between British usage (which tends to favour the plural) and American (which tend to the singular), though both usages are valid in both countries.  So an increase in singular probably reflects US sources.

Anything to do with the US assassination of the English language is to be avoided.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Agreed, but it also makes sense as a company is an entity (collective noun), British English was by no means standardised when the colonies were established, a good example being the size of a pint.