Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

11 minutes ago, gettafa said:

On Mannin Line right now, Andy Wint fawning over what a great Chief Minister Donald Gelling was.

DG is a nice enough guy, but at best is a tractor salesman. He was the CM when the Isle of Man was getting an extra £200million per annum in VAT revenues. His greatest phrase - done in a manx drawl - "I'd rather deal with the problems of success than the problems of failure".

OK.

Don was knocking about at the start of IRIS, Incinerator, MEA etc.

Why is Andy Wint fawning so much as to what a great Chief Minister Donald Gelling was.

Perhaps, as per the Richard Corkill/wife farce they're going to bring him back as a "steady hand on the tiller"...again

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I listened to this and thought it was well presented at least Andy Wint does not force his own opinions on you under the guise of playing devils advocate.   There were some really sound views on the show with 90% of callers saying the TT should be called off now with many different reasons but on the news they played it as if they had had loads of people phoning in against the idea, in fact two complaining about the likehood lived in Ireland :o.   Typical Manx Radio reporting.

• Like 1

I disagree in that I feel Andy Wint does nothing but force his opinions on you, usually in the way he frames questions, and can never miss a chance to display what he believes to be cleverness, in doing so.

The previous presenter to which you refer was alright to be contradicted or have an opposing view presented (Stu Peters leaves himself wide open for that).

But Uncle Andy always knows best.

• Like 3

Tuned into Mannin Line today for the first time in many years. Plenty of callers and thankfully few adverts, but Andy Wint was awful. Spent the whole programme just parroting the same dumb questions and being careful not to say anything. I'd have expected a politician to come on the show and I wondered if any had been invited. Seems like they're all running for cover anyway. Andy Wint also rates ex C.M. Donald Gelling very highly. What does he base that on then ?  Is he in the Manx back-slappers club ? Not his job to say stuff like that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There were some really sound views on the show with 90% of callers saying the TT should be called off now with many different reasons but on the news they played it as if they had had loads of people phoning in against the idea, in fact two complaining about the likehood lived in Ireland :o.   Typical Manx Radio reporting.

Of course if the TT is cancelled they won't get any extra money for covering the racing.  That's if the contract actually been awarded yet - another thing the DfE seems to think can be left till last minute.  The government department in charge of business seems to be the most un-businesslike operation on the Island.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The government department in charge of business seems to be the most un-businesslike operation on the Island.

When you have loads of money to spend and can't be fired for making the wrong decision or no decision, you tend to not be businesslike. 

8 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Andy Wint also rates ex C.M. Donald Gelling very highly. What does he base that on then ?  Is he in the Manx back-slappers club ? Not his job to say stuff like that.

Wasn't Mr Gelling a director of Kaupthing Singer & Friedlander?

Perhaps Mr Wint is impressed with his tenure there...

24 minutes ago, P.K. said:

One of the regulators was as well wasn't he? All in the name of regulation though, obviously...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Terminal said:

I’m sure the first caller today said the F word live on air and Andy Wint didn’t even notice. 

27 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Yes, I heard that too :lol:

That was caller Ron.

I think the reason Andy Wint might have missed it is because he is not interested what people have to say, only what HE is going to say, and so wasn't really listening.

20200316 Mannin Line fucking about.mp3

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

If I recall, Don Gelling was chairman of KSFIOM.  Whilst he cannot be blamed In any way for the collapse of the IOM banking subsidiary (the problems were entirely created off island) he certainly can be criticised for keeping his head down and not helping to lead the company through a critical time- for instance, avoiding the creditors’ meeting of the collapsed bank and leaving his MD to take the flak.  Not at all impressive!