Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

On 3/16/2020 at 12:55 PM, gettafa said:

On Mannin Line right now, Andy Wint fawning over what a great Chief Minister Donald Gelling was.

DG is a nice enough guy, but at best is a tractor salesman. He was the CM when the Isle of Man was getting an extra £200million per annum in VAT revenues. His greatest phrase - done in a manx drawl - "I'd rather deal with the problems of success than the problems of failure".

OK.

Don was knocking about at the start of IRIS, Incinerator, MEA etc.

Why is Andy Wint fawning so much as to what a great Chief Minister Donald Gelling was.

He's just showing his age - perhaps the Gelling Era was a golden time for Andy

That Andy Wint talks some bollox. Is he on something or is he just high on the knowledge Manx Radio are receiving £3million of taxpayers money for the next 3 years?

He was psychophanting* over Donald Gelling the other day and now he's all bushy-tailed over the help people are giving each regarding the corona thing. "On the Isle of Man everybody knows everybody else" he says starry-eyed. 

No they fucking don't. I've lived here 50 years and can walk down Strand Street and recognise maybe half a dozen folk. There are by far more people who will stick two fingers up to their neighbours and eldely (by way of their selfish stockpiling) than go round to see if their neighbours are ok.

The guy needs to take his head oot of his arse. 

*should be sycophanting, althogh that is still not a word, but ya get the idea

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Nice to hear Tim Glover asking a direct question to the CM about the absence of the Director of Health

Very clear that MR staff are not scared to.rock the boat and are not lackies of the government

Did you manage to keep a straight face when you typed that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Jesus...Corona virus day 1 here...hundreds of elderly folk scared...shopping in chaos, and the school kid breakfast wankers still playing their shit music and talking shite.

This island and its national radio station are run by idiots at all levels.

For an indication of what the 'new' Manx Radio is about, listen to Brindley in the afternoon. He is the Programme Controller. Tynwald have have given £3million over 3 years for this guy to play about with The Nation's Station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Jesus...Corona virus day 1 here...hundreds of elderly folk scared...shopping in chaos, and the school kid breakfast wankers still playing their shit music and talking shite.

This island and its national radio station are run by idiots at all levels.

Providing they give regular updates/bulletins, what do you expect - dead air for the rest of the day

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Providing they give regular updates/bulletins, what do you expect - dead air for the rest of the day

For 30 years Manx Radio Morning Mandate has provided an entirely speech based news and current affairs programme in the morning. It was popular and the flagship programme of Manx Radio and served its purpose very well. One of the recent reports into Manx Radio suggested Morning Mandate be extended, but we get some kids larking about, playing some tunes and talking about their experience of hols and 'uni' and whatever instead.

That's all very well and there is an off button, but these people are receiving a lot of taxpayers money to lark about all day. 

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I'd expect them to go over the government briefing from the previous day, be questioning politicians and public health people and other experts, clearly explaining the current advice and giving bulletin information e.g. on shopping, finance, benefits etc. Between 7 and 9am and between 5pm and 7pm.

Not all of us are sat home listening all day....or want to have to listen to shite music, childish waffle and inane adverts for an hour in the morning to grab a few salient points.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

For an indication of what the 'new' Manx Radio is about, listen to Brindley in the afternoon. He is the Programme Controller. Tynwald have have given £3million over 3 years for this guy to play about with The Nation's Station.

I would agree. I was a supporter of the Tynwald subvention but the recent changes that Brindley has introduced has led me to reconsider as it appears to have dumbed it down. I was not an avid listener but most mornings I listened to mandate. I would check out what was on the Sunday opinion slot and listen to that often the follow up mannin line. I generally listened to part of the sports preview and results programs and sometimes the six o'clock talk slots depending on topics.

Not any more. The inane wittering in the mornings mean I no longer listened to the old mandate slot. I tried this week to catch up with the latest on Covid 19 and gawd it was awful. Decide if you want to be a music slot, a news slot or whatever. We had the MLC elections recently and I knew virtually nothing about those standing where as previously I would have heard interviews on the morning mandate slot etc. I don't listen to the mandate slot in the morning in the car on the way in so my radio is not tuned in to pick up if there is anything on interesting in the six o'clock slot.

The Saturday sport preview has been cut as has the results programme which is now only on MW. Many modern radio's don't have MW as an option. The Sunday Mannin line has gone.

I never thought I would say this but it is time for Man Radio to stand on its own two feet as it basically just becoming just another radio station and no longer lives up to its self proclaimed title of the nation's broadcaster. If it wants to keep its subvention then it either needs to go back to covering properly Island life, sport, news and politics otherwise just compete in the market place with Energy and Three FM.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1