Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

5 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Didn't the BBC give the island a refund some years back and our elected clots at the time give it straight to MR?

I think the money was refunded to IOMG, who then used it to fund the subvention that year. I don't think MR got anything extra. IOMG had the windfall.

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Was there ever any truth in that story from a year or so back, where energy/3fm accused MR of selling cheap advertising?

No. I believe it was investigated and proven to be untrue.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stu Peters said:

I think the money was refunded to IOMG, who then used it to fund the subvention that year. I don't think MR got anything extra. IOMG had the windfall.

I believe the money was not theirs to give away. Wasn't it a refund for an overpayment of licence fees?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Was there ever any truth in that story from a year or so back, where energy/3fm accused MR of selling cheap advertising?

A (true) fable. When I were a spotty youth I worked with a plumber down south. He had one main competitor and the two of them would battle it out for work. As soon as one got his pension he simply used it to be able to reduce his prices and get more work and deprive his rival.

It's a funny old world. 

Edited by gettafa

Not so many plumbers around in those days. Houses had less toilets (Some were outside); fewer showers, sinks, taps; no en suites; no central heating boilers and radiators; fewer washing machines; no dishwashers etc. Less homeowners too. I only knew a few plumbers at one time. Now there must be over a hundred of them on the Island. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

No. I believe it was investigated and proven to be untrue.

believe something else, when energy started up MR cut the cost of advertising to undercut energy that was already undercutting MR.

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Not so many plumbers around in those days. Houses had less toilets (Some were outside); fewer showers, sinks, taps; no en suites; no central heating boilers and radiators; fewer washing machines; no dishwashers etc. Less homeowners too. I only knew a few plumbers at one time. Now there must be over a hundred of them on the Island. 

and try getting one to turn up when they say they will ............

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WTF said:

believe something else, when energy started up MR cut the cost of advertising to undercut energy that was already undercutting MR.

No, I'm choosing to believe what I know to be a fact. You're choosing to believe somebody with an axe to grind.

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

No, I'm choosing to believe what I know to be a fact. You're choosing to believe somebody with an axe to grind.

this must be like one of those multiple option but only one real religion beliefs then.

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 1

Well I tuned in at 07:30 this morning as I am sure many people did waiting for any latest news. It was actually quite good, a bit like the Morning Mandate was. They dusted off the old Beth kicked her out of bed early and exchanged her for the Stepford Wife they surely keep in a cupboard up there for the afternoon show

There was a bit of Covid news and stuff, and business news too.

No word of Ben's Banger or Hartley Hideaway or any of that carry on.

They managed until 8 minutes to 8:00 before they blew it,  throwing on a record (Ed Sheeran), which was my cue to switch to BBC Radio4.

Maybe they could force a half hour of just news and current affairs with no frivolity and DJing. Say 7:30 - 8:00. 

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Well I tuned in at 07:30 this morning as I am sure many people did waiting for any latest news. It was actually quite good, a bit like the Morning Mandate was. They dusted off the old Beth kicked her out of bed early and exchanged her for the Stepford Wife they surely keep in a cupboard up there for the afternoon show

There was a bit of Covid news and stuff, and business news too.

No word of Ben's Banger or Hartley Hideaway or any of that carry on.

They managed until 8 minutes to 8:00 before they blew it,  throwing on a record (Ed Sheeran), which was my cue to switch to BBC Radio4.

Maybe they could force a half hour of just news and current affairs with no frivolity and DJing. Say 7:30 - 8:00. 

Nothing stops Hartley's HIdeaway.... but what amazes me is that people respond to it!.

• Haha 1

I don't want to knock it as such. It's just not my cup of tea. Obviously some people (Ben's mum for example?) do like it.
It's that they (ie Alex 'I'm a jolly good laugh' Brindley) replaced the news and current affairs with this stuff.

And it must be so much easier to spin a disc than it is to get 3 minutes 20 seconds of interview with a government minister or whatever.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

It's that they (ie Alex 'I'm a jolly good laugh' Brindley) replaced the news and current affairs with this stuff.

This is the mystery. Mandate must have been one of the most popular programmes. It certainly carried the most expensive advertising.

It's like they took the ten o'clock news off BBC1 and replaced it with Tom & Jerry. Bizarre.

• Like 7