Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Now corrected. Are there no editors of any description working in MR these days?

It's just odd that they don't read through to check what they've typed before posting. I hope that's what's happening. It's inconceivable that they could re-read and see nothing wrong.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's just odd that they don't read through to check what they've typed before posting. I hope that's what's happening. It's inconceivable that they could re-read and see nothing wrong.  

I did wonder is they used one of these speech-to-text apps that hasn't quite worked properly and in the process developed a Norman Collierism!  :D

ETA: Sorry can't resist it;

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, woolley said:

Maybee Howud is doo-ing part time werk az a proof reeder

3 hours ago, monasqueen said:

On the news this morning, he was referred to as "The Lieutenant", and then "Sir Gozney".

She was probably just reading the script.

Not good.

It's the sort of mistake you might expect a 15 year old work experience kid to make, but a professional broadcaster reading out another's script should pick up and correct that up, almost without thinking.  It's not like it's some obscure bit of court etiquette like how to address the third daughter of a viscount or something - it's how you refer to someone who is in the news on the Island regularly.

I can only assume that there is a mindset where reading out what you have been told to read out as the official line, means that all experience and commonsense is bypassed.  If there is a piece of paper saying that Howard Quayle has been kidnapped by space aliens, they will recite it without question. Mind you the ridiculous things that have been happening recently, who is to say it wouldn't be true?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

And...’parks’ is the plural of ‘park’ with ‘glens’ being the plural of ‘glen’...so no apostrophe required anywhere. And it’s pretty clear that they are both plural. So, currently, on MRs website main news item about full car parks at beauty spots they’ve written ‘parks’ and ‘glen’s’. The idiots.