Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

19 hours ago, GillR said:

I’m quite pleased with the current MR line up.... enjoy Christy lots and the Moanin Line cheers me up on a dull day...... 

It's subjective and everyone has different taste of course, but those two presenters are in my top 3 of most irritating Manx Radio presenters.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 12:28 PM, gettafa said:

It's subjective and everyone has different taste of course, but those two presenters are in my top 3 of most irritating Manx Radio presenters.

They’re all irritating. The list would just be whoever is on the payroll. 

Dont mind Christy, Beth etc too much...only slight criticism is the amount of superlatives used for literally anything....every single story or discussion is usually preceded and or followed by 'Oooh that is soooooooooo lovely, its amazing, it really is fantastic'...even relatively mundane ordinary things...but aside from that...dont mind listening to them.

The instant switch off however still remains Brindley. His  consistent ability to annoy is a real talent. I don't make it through a sentence before the the channel is hastily changed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

That's his complete personality. Doesn't do anything except childish and silly, and Christmas Cracker jokes type thing. No problem if you are into that sort of thing. But the problem is, he is the Program Controller. Which is why Manx Radio has turned into a big farce fest this past 6 months. And when the Isle of Man Government has given Manx Radio £3 million over the next 3 years, then he is going to get nothing but backslaps from all the other DJs, for the next 3 years.

£3 million. Jeez. Surely life, the economy, and everything, during/after Covid is going to be able to halt that particular wagon load of gravy 

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

That's his complete personality. Doesn't do anything except childish and silly, and Christmas Cracker jokes type thing. No problem if you are into that sort of thing. But the problem is, he is the Program Controller. Which is why Manx Radio has turned into a big farce fest this past 6 months. And when the Isle of Man Government has given Manx Radio £3 million over the next 3 years, then he is going to get nothing but backslaps from all the other DJs, for the next 3 years.

£3 million. Jeez. Surely life, the economy, and everything, during/after Covid is going to be able to halt that particular wagon load of gravy 

Has anyone ever met anyone who actually likes that ‘jokey’ format? It ‘s entirely possible that because we are all old farts we don’t like it but I was just genuinely wondering if you or any of your friends or family think the whole thing is a hoot? 
Please answer below. 

51 minutes ago, ecobob said:

Has anyone ever met anyone who actually likes that ‘jokey’ format? It ‘s entirely possible that because we are all old farts we don’t like it but I was just genuinely wondering if you or any of your friends or family think the whole thing is a hoot? 
Please answer below. 

Answer: No, I have never met anyone who actually likes the 'jokey' format, certainly not a 'hoot'. I do occasionally try and discuss Manx Radio with people I know, of all ages, and they all say "Manx Radio?, don't listen to it". Although to be fair, there are some who add "...anymore" - further questioning of those, seems to be that that means since Morning Mandate was destroyed after such a long life,  and then trodden in the dirt.

And to be fair, I have to say, some don't listen anymore since Stu Peters left Talking Heads. That programme was getting quite good for a lunch time tune-in, complete with the occasional Buster (RIP), Quirky (we all know now just how seriously or rather, not, to take him) and a no-nonsense 'Howard' (no, not that one). I've not met anyone who enjoys the officious and know-it-all Andy Wint.

I accept that I must be an 'old fart'.

I also have to accept that 'old farts' are no longer required in the  general listenership of Manx Radio. And all that might go with that (ie the old fart taxpayer contribution could well come to an end, Alex)

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I accept that I must be an 'old fart'.

Even that's irrelevant.  Neither my kids who are aged 18 and over,or ANY of their friends listen to Manx Radio. A few have said "it's on at work but never take notice of it",but that's as far as they're interested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Donald, when the Manx Radio £3million over 3 years was granted by Tynwald, the changes to Manx Radio output were well in place. New Manx Radio.

And that included the dumbed down Morning Mandate replacement, where in place of live interviews, the hardest an MHK would need to think, if they so choose, was where in the Island was Ben's Banger.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1