Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 hours ago, WKRP said:

Why on earth is Ewan Gawne, the BBC Local Democracy Reporterdoing an interview with Brindley about Manx Radio 2020 TT output?

That surely can not be in the remit of the position. 

Are they allowed to do TT this year, as I didn't hear they had won the contract for boardcasting TT.

Also will they have to pay for using the TT brand to attract Listeners.

£75 a pop is it not.

Seems strange that Manx Radio is not taking the Friday Government press conference on any of their broadcast channels, only on-line. It seems to be a thing that the public service broadcaster should be doing for those who don't have internet services.

• Like 7

Manx Radio Programme Controller, Alex. always seems to appear irritated that the press conference and public briefings eats in to his show.

"Shove the question onto AM don't encroach on me, me, me and my fab show" sort of thing.

He was certainly dischuffed that first time it was delayed for a couple of hours (due to Tynwald). He didn't know why it was delayed at first, and obviously was unaware that Tywald was on (eh? what's Tynwald?)

His life clearly pays little attention to all that boring Tynwald and stuff like that*

Which is ok, I have no problem with that. But he is the Programme Controller at Manx Radio. Hence Ben's Banger and other such hits in place of Morning Mandate.

* except of course when there is £3million getting handed out

Edited by gettafa

26 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio Programme Controller, Alex. always seems to appear irritated that the press conference and public briefings eats in to his show.

"Shove the question onto AM don't encroach on me, me, me and my fab show" sort of thing.

He was certainly dischuffed that first time it was delayed for a couple of hours (due to Tynwald). He didn't know why it was delayed at first, and obviously was unaware that Tywald was on (eh? what's Tynwald?)

His life clearly pays little attention to all that boring Tynwald and stuff like that*

Which is ok, I have no problem with that. But he is the Programme Controller at Manx Radio. Hence Ben's Banger and other such hits in place of Morning Mandate.

* except of course when there is £3million getting handed out

Eh?

1 hour ago, WKRP said:

Seems strange that Manx Radio is not taking the Friday Government press conference on any of their broadcast channels, only on-line. It seems to be a thing that the public service broadcaster should be doing for those who don't have internet services.

Could be, what it being a bank holiday today, they have pre-recorded what they are playing all day, pretending they are indeed live. They have done it many times before.

1 hour ago, majkul said:

Could be, what it being a bank holiday today, they have pre-recorded what they are playing all day, pretending they are indeed live. They have done it many times before.

It would hardly matter,it would still seem like the 1980s anyway

11 hours ago, majkul said:

Manx Radio of course pre-records certain programmes. However it does very little 'voice tracking*' compared to most other commercial radio stations these days. Perhaps you'd like to elucidate on which programmes are currently voice tracked?

* Where a freelance presenter sits in a rabbit hutch in Slough or wherever and records just the voice links between songs. The playout computer tells him what the links are, what time in the show it will be and how long he should speak. I think the computer then assembles the show and plays it out 'as for live'. I've never used it so don't know exactly how it works but it means stations need only pay the presenter for a few minutes rather than a few hours. I expect the same presenter can voice track shows for numerous different stations in a day. You can tell a voice tracked show because they aren't able to react to listeners, so no live callers, instant competitions or requests.

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Manx Radio of course pre-records certain programmes. However it does very little 'voice tracking*' compared to most other commercial radio stations these days. Perhaps you'd like to elucidate on which programmes are currently voice tracked?

* Where a freelance presenter sits in a rabbit hutch in Slough or wherever and records just the voice links between songs. The playout computer tells him what the links are, what time in the show it will be and how long he should speak. I think the computer then assembles the show and plays it out 'as for live'. I've never used it so don't know exactly how it works but it means stations need only pay the presenter for a few minutes rather than a few hours. I expect the same presenter can voice track shows for numerous different stations in a day. You can tell a voice tracked show because they aren't able to react to listeners, so no live callers, instant competitions or requests.

So you and your co-host David Quirk have never tried the pre-recorded shows.