Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Stop broadcasting them. Stop steaming them. Demand dignity from the office.  

But the sad thing is that that think they are being dignified.  You and I and practically everyone else see Quayle badly reciting badly-written PR guff followed by touchy and confusing replies.  He sees it as Howard Quayle World Statesman and there are enough people employed to fuel his delusions that  they will continue.  The rest of us may be cringing, but they can go on like this forever.  

But the real problem isn't that they are pompous and self-important where they should be dignified - it's that they think being 'dignified' is the beginning and end of the job.  There's no strategy, no grasp of what the options are and no real attempt to explains things to the public.  All you need to do is sound 'presidential' and the minions will do all that for you.

None of which that the press conferences should be ignored or stopped, irritating though they may be.  The fact that even the minimal inquisitiveness of the Manx media seems to offend them - hence the two questions rule and now these ridiculous 'Pools', as if the world's press were all clamouring to get in - should tell us that being ignored is exactly what they want.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the sad thing is that that think they are being dignified.  You and I and practically everyone else see Quayle badly reciting badly-written PR guff followed by touchy and confusing replies.  He sees it as Howard Quayle World Statesman and there are enough people employed to fuel his delusions that  they will continue.  The rest of us may be cringing, but they can go on like this forever.  

But the real problem isn't that they are pompous and self-important where they should be dignified - it's that they think being 'dignified' is the beginning and end of the job.  There's no strategy, no grasp of what the options are and no real attempt to explains things to the public.  All you need to do is sound 'presidential' and the minions will do all that for you.

None of which that the press conferences should be ignored or stopped, irritating though they may be.  The fact that even the minimal inquisitiveness of the Manx media seems to offend them - hence the two questions rule and now these ridiculous 'Pools', as if the world's press were all clamouring to get in - should tell us that being ignored is exactly what they want.  

This is very probably your best-ever post Roger. Every word hits the target.

As I’ve found myself unable any longer to listen to Quayle ‘badly reciting badly-written PR guff’ I steeled myself for yesterday’s great ‘lockdown-lifter‘ speech. Dear god that man’s amateurish presentation is like fingernails on a blackboard. Every inflection, every cadence, every intonation delivered wrongly, haltingly and with self-evident lack of full understanding of the flow and intent of the communication. If I was actually present I’d find it impossible not to point out just how shockingly bad it is.

But as you say, the great statesman doesn’t even need to subject himself to the indignity of being questioned. 

It’s all awful. Just awful.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Churchillian
9 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

As I’ve found myself unable any longer to listen to Quayle ‘badly reciting badly-written PR guff’ I steeled myself for yesterday’s great ‘lockdown-lifter‘ speech. Dear god that man’s amateurish presentation is like fingernails on a blackboard. Every inflection, every cadence, every intonation delivered wrongly, haltingly and with self-evident lack of full understanding of the flow and intent of the communication. If I was actually present I’d find it impossible not to point out just how shockingly bad it is.

But as you say, the great statesman doesn’t even need to subject himself to the indignity of being questioned. 

They are hardly Churchillian, in fact I am sure if you could see his hands there would be one of his fingers pointing at each word he is reading...………...
Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Uhtred said:

HQ's presentation is not the best but he is not the worst by any means of those who have spoken at the press conferences. Looking further afield look at Trump and de Pfeffel.  HQ is accused of getting narked at questions well he seems to react much better than Trump, doesn't hide away from the media like de Pfeffel. I am not holding up HQ up as a shinning example but maybe we are slightly over critical

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

HQ's presentation is not the best but he is not the worst by any means of those who have spoken at the press conferences. Looking further afield look at Trump and de Pfeffel.  HQ is accused of getting narked at questions well he seems to react much better than Trump, doesn't hide away from the media like de Pfeffel. I am not holding up HQ up as a shinning example but maybe we are slightly over critical

I wasn’t suggesting he’s necessarily the worst, simply that he’s very, very, poor. We all deserve censure to a degree (some a lot more than others!) that someone of such profoundly limited ability generally, and truly miserable verbal communication skills specifically, ends up as CM. If that doesn’t illustrate that there’s a fault(s) in the system, I don’t know what does.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

FFS Trump has millions of supporters, HQ has a few hundred at best. Let's be frank he is a pompous obnoxious knuckle dragger with a farming background who thinks he is important,  and that is only in the eyes of a few landowners who massage his ego from time to time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

FFS Trump has millions of supporters, HQ has a few hundred at best. Let's be frank he is a pompous obnoxious knuckle dragger with a farming background who thinks he is important,  and that is only in the eyes of a few landowners who massage his ego from time to time. 

I never realised Trump was a farmer

• Like 1

It shouldn't come as any surprise that not everyone is great at public speaking.

Mr. Bell used to get ridiculous amounts of nonsensical shite abuse thrown at him but he was a very good public speaker. 

Speaking to audiences is not natural to many people.  It takes practice and experience to see improvement.  Confidence is a huge part of it.

So yes, I guess some do struggle a bit.  But cut them some slack.   I've no doubt some of people abusing them on here could barely string a couple of sentences together in similar circumstances.

• Like 2

Well done to GEF and ELS for the live coverage of Christians last marathon, what a slight to see at St Johns! Thought it deserved of a live outside broadcast from PSB Manx Radio but I don't think they covered it at all, just an interview sometime after it finished. Mind you that was better than 3FM who didn't even have the story on their website late time I checked.