Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

40 minutes ago, WKRP said:

Well done to GEF and ELS for the live coverage of Christians last marathon, what a slight to see at St Johns! Thought it deserved of a live outside broadcast from PSB Manx Radio but I don't think they covered it at all, just an interview sometime after it finished. Mind you that was better than 3FM who didn't even have the story on their website late time I checked.

Several Manx Radio presenters mentioned  Christians achievements and stages he was at, on many, many occasions.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Does Harmer have a stammer? Like not just nerves, but an actual medical one? That's the impression I get.

These press conferences can be quite intense. I'm pretty sure with Harmer it's just a multi-tasking issue - he can't read a piece of paper and talk at the same time.

59 minutes ago, WKRP said:

Well done to GEF and ELS for the live coverage of Christians last marathon, what a slight to see at St Johns! Thought it deserved of a live outside broadcast from PSB Manx Radio but I don't think they covered it at all, just an interview sometime after it finished. 

Maybe they rightfully kept out of the way? They could have reported on the crowds though. There was a good Hilton full there.

More there than your average Tynwald Day:

1473142905_20200519TynwaldHillCovid-19.jpg.de75dd6843eb843c38eb9dd513456502.jpg

Edited by gettafa

21 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It shouldn't come as any surprise that not everyone is great at public speaking.

Mr. Bell used to get ridiculous amounts of nonsensical shite abuse thrown at him but he was a very good public speaker. 

Speaking to audiences is not natural to many people.  It takes practice and experience to see improvement.  Confidence is a huge part of it.

So yes, I guess some do struggle a bit.  But cut them some slack.   I've no doubt some of people abusing them on here could barely string a couple of sentences together in similar circumstances.

But public speaking is part of the job.  It's literally a big part of what Ministers are paid to do.  In the case of some Ministers, reading out what they have been given appears to be the only thing they think the job entails apart from nodding occasionally at meetings.  If they are unable to manage even that bare minimum they shouldn't be there.  Public speaking is a core part of being a politician - these people have been MHKs for years, they've had the practice and experience and they're certainly not lacking in confidence - whether deserved or not.

Quayle isn't even a bad speaker technically - he projects quite well for instance.  His faults with speaking are all due to a sort of arrogant laziness.  If you don't know how to pronounce a word or what it means, you ask someone or replace it with something simpler.  If you're not given your speeches far enough in advance to check them, you make sure they are given to you earlier (or maybe even write you own).  If you're going to give a briefing on a subject, it's a good idea to know what you are talking about.  If there are technical problems, with the lighting or whatever, that makes reading things a problem, get them fixed.

Quayle is Chief Minister with all the resources of government at his disposal and these press conferences have been going on for many weeks.  If he can't get things right it's because he can't be bothered or can't even impose his will to get the simplest things dealt with.  Neither of which suggest that he's running the country in any meaningful or competent way.

People criticised Bell because he used being a fluent speaker to try to cover up an inability to take much in the way of action or tackle any of the obvious problems.  Quayle is pretty much the same except he lacks the fluency.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

He is a terrible public speaker but it is telling that they'll let Harmer have a go but won't even let Cregeen or Thomas loose on the podium. 

For someone with verbal diarrhoea and a willingness to expound on two flies walking up a window, whether we want him to or not, Thomas’s absence is both surprising and a pleasure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

When did Union Mills relocate to the South of the Island?

From MR News:

Police attended a four-vehicle crash in the south of the Island yesterday afternoon.

Officers say they were called to the incident at Main Road in Union Mills.

2 hours ago, KERED said:

From MR News:

Police attended a four-vehicle crash in the south of the Island yesterday afternoon.

It's been going South since Howard Quayle took over as MHK there.

badum tish!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's been going South since Howard Quayle took over as MHK there.

badum tish!

I see that the duty news-hound has changed it again:

Police attended a four-vehicle crash in the south-east of the Island yesterday afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, KERED said:

From MR News:

Its South of "The Bridge"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KERED said:

From MR News:

Well, it's 'Southside' rather than northside which is the other side of Greeba

On 4/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, gettafa said:

Well it maybe that, at least during the pandemic, that a sort of Morning Mandate is creeping back in. From 07:30, now up to about 20 minutes you can listen to Manx Radio without the childish high jinks and hockey sticks (I was going to say drivel, but I accept that some people like drivel) and music.

On 4/21/2020 at 11:57 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

Same here...listen 7.30 to 8am now. Outside of that forget it.

That first music free 20 minutes was good. Local News and any interesting matters summed up without putting records on. But the childs that now run Manx Radio must have twigged it. They now put a 'record' on straight away at 07:30 to spoil it. I go straight to BBC Radio 4 Today programme.

It's as if someone is enjoying ruining the old Mandate format and is getting immense pleasure out of pissing off people who want to listen to just speech based News and Current Affairs in the morning.

I liken it to say, a really good pub conversation going on, and the person who has nothing to add and is feeling left out (because they aren't getting their me me me moments and are a boring bastard anyway) decides to drop their guts silently to break up the party. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4