Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

On 5/19/2020 at 8:25 PM, Uhtred said:

This is very probably your best-ever post Roger. Every word hits the target.

As I’ve found myself unable any longer to listen to Quayle ‘badly reciting badly-written PR guff’ I steeled myself for yesterday’s great ‘lockdown-lifter‘ speech. Dear god that man’s amateurish presentation is like fingernails on a blackboard. Every inflection, every cadence, every intonation delivered wrongly, haltingly and with self-evident lack of full understanding of the flow and intent of the communication. If I was actually present I’d find it impossible not to point out just how shockingly bad it is.

But as you say, the great statesman doesn’t even need to subject himself to the indignity of being questioned. 

It’s all awful. Just awful.

The current Mrs Andy being a one time luvvy, has offered (to me, tho what I can do about it is another matter) to tutor HM The Chief Minister on how to read PR shite.

She cringes at every sentence, especially when he gets the emphasis on the wrong word. She reckons that any PR bod who knows the person who will deliver the information will write it in such a way as to avoid pitfalls, such as inflection and emphasis etc. So in this case both are as bad as each other and the result is what we're subjected to.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

The current Mrs Andy being a one time luvvy, has offered (to me, tho what I can do about it is another matter) to tutor HM The Chief Minister on how to read PR shite.

She cringes at every sentence, especially when he gets the emphasis on the wrong word. She reckons that any PR bod who knows the person who will deliver the information will write it in such a way as to avoid pitfalls, such as inflection and emphasis etc. So in this case both are as bad as each other and the result is what we're subjected to.

It possibly is written that way but Quayle's too stupid to notice...

• Sad 1

Rising inflection. Most annoying. As is the modern (usually young female) pronunciation which adds a New Zealnd/South African flavour. 'Goying hoym'. Oy noy'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

On a separate note, ashcroft has that australianism whereby every statement he makes sounds like it's a question when he says the last word of it.

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Rising inflection. Most annoying. 

A modern curse. The moronic interrogative.

5 hours ago, woolley said:

A modern curse. The moronic interrogative.

Not as modern as you may think - was the local way of speaking in North Wales when I moved there in 1976 for university.

Welcome back Woolley, we've missed you.

Tuned in to Stu's programme for twenty minutes or so last night. I thought you were going to play some decent music on your new show Stu ? Who picks 'em ? I like your presenting style but change the records. I've tried your show a few times now but Emily Maitliss is way out in front at the moment. She's better looking too :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

On a separate note, ashcroft has that australianism whereby every statement he makes sounds like it's a question when he says the last word of it.

You’re right...and by shite it’s infuriating.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I am sure they said on MR this morning that today’s numbers would be announced at 4.00pm so tuned in and what did I get Phil Gawne’s dulcet tone giving the weather forecast in Manx not the best of surprises.

You'd prattle any old shite at £500 per hour too!

9 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I am sure they said on MR this morning that today’s numbers would be announced at 4.00pm so tuned in and what did I get Phil Gawne’s dulcet tone giving the weather forecast in Manx not the best of surprises.

I went shopping yesterday afternoon and he was on the radio for 2 seconds (managed to switch it off in 2 secs after hearing him).

He's a large turd that refuses to flush.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I went shopping yesterday afternoon and he was on the radio for 2 seconds (managed to switch it off in 2 secs after hearing him).

He's a large turd that refuses to flush.

As long as 2 seconds, Albert?  

Your reactions seem to be slowing down!

• Haha 1